Print Thread
#4962 12/27/04 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hello, it has been awhile since i posted, but have been reading forum often. Our daughter is home from Guatemala and doing great nursing. Came home at 6 months and is doing remarkable well. I had started pumping in April and taking domperidone. Was able to get a good supply of milk in the freezer. To make a long story short, i became frustrated with the process, quit pumping and taking med about a month and 1/2 before Isabelle came home. Milk supply low. Using lact-aid. I know that she is getting some milk, she was taking 6 oz from bottle, using 4 oz lact-aid bags and she is falling asleep at breast usually not competely empy bag. She is gaining weight and seems satified. She is eating some solid,cereal and bananas, but LOVES to nurse. I have started to take the domperidone again, started gradually and now on the full dose. Can anyone give me other suggestions of increasing milk supply. The supply in freezer is way low. We are enjoying out breastfeeding relationship, it is very sweet and I cherish it. I just would like to give her the most bm that I could.

God Bless
Machelle

#4963 12/28/04 05:25 PM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hello Machelle,

How wonderful, congratulations!

Absolutely the best thing you can do for your supply is to let your little one nurse as often as possible. A baby simply is much, much better than any pump at getting the milk out.
Nursing regularly your supply is sure to grow substantially.

Otherwise, you could pump after each nursing session (I didn't), make sure you get enough fluids, eat oatmeal several times a week and take the herbs blessed thistle and fenugreek. Some women also take goat's rue and brewers' yeast. Alternatively drink beer.

You also want to keep an eye out for anti-galactagogues such as sage - it is really bad for milk production. Some natural cough remedies contain it, at least in Germany. Apparently parsley is also bad, and high doses of B vitamins can also cause problems.

Good luck to you and enjoy your little one!

Love,
Chris

mom to Emma, born June 15th, 2004
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Machelle, also try to nurse without the lactaid for the first morning sessions. Or you can nurse without lactaid first then add lactaid. You may also be able to get her to nurse for comfort. Nursing on demand instead of a schedule is recommended to keep a good supply going so that should help you too.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you Chris and Laurie so much for responding. I noticed that I forgot to mention that Isabelle is 7 months old, came home from Guatemala on Thankgiving Day at 6 month old. We just celebrated our Christ's Birthday and one month home celebration!!!

I may try pumping after each bf. Isabelle is nursing on demand. She is certainly demanding a whole lot of attention at night. Last night she nursed 4 times during the night. I really think at times she just wants comforted, if her tummy is full, she will latch on without the lact-aid. I am not sure she would latch on in the morning without lact aid, my breast always seem like they have been literally "sucked dry". Please excuse the phrase. LOL!!! Is there a way to slow down the flow from the lact-aid. I had heard to lower it but I find this difficult to do with a baby laying on your lap.

I had heard on one of the forums that it takes something like 4 oz of bm a day for a good amount of antibodies to be given to baby. Did I dream that, or has anyone else heard that too.

Please share your stories, it is so encouraging to hear from other mommies that have had the previledge to nurse their babies. I nursed 2 bio babies and enjoyed it very much. This time just much different having to deal with low milk supply. I have never had that hurdle before.

God Bless
Machelle

#4966 12/29/04 03:26 AM
yes you are right.. 4 ounces a day to get all the immunities your baby needs. Okay.. with the lact-aid. I do not use a the strap or pouch. I lay the lact-aid down right on the crease where my baby and I touch. It works better for me. And the flow is much slower. I just pull my shirt down over it so she does not see the pouch to play with it. Our DD is 5 months old.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.