photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5182 01/25/05 05:21 PM
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
I have been succesfully nursing my daughter for 6 months. I was wondering about weaning of the Domp. I want to nurse for an extened amount of time. I am scared to wean of the domp. I am afraid that my supply will suffer. she is only eating solids 1x a day. Is there any danger in staying on the domp for a length of time. I dont know what to do. If it is safe to stay on domp I would like to just because I want to keep my supply as she grows.
Thank you
Julie

British Columbia, Canada
British Columbia, Canada
I've been on it longterm with all my kids. Only with this baby have I been able to wean off it slightly. I recommend women go down by one pill for a few weeks, then another for a few weeks, so it's very gradual. I'm down to 40mg daily and can't seem to go below that without losing my milk supply. That's okay though. I feel that the benefits of more milk strongly outweight the theoretical risk of taking a safe drug longterm.

Kerri

Mama to Cole, Naomi, Adam, and baby Noah All wide-open adoptions through LDS Familiy Services La Leche League Leader and Doula
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
I've been on the domperidone at this point for two years without a problem. I weaned down to 60 mg per day and that's where I've stayed to keep my milk supply steady. Ethan is currently nearly 15 months old and I'm planning to continue breastfeeding until Ethan is 2 years old. If I have to stay on the domperidone until then, so be it. Thomas Hale, Ph.D in his book "Medications and Mother's Milk, 2004" lists domperidone as the safest galactogogue for mother and baby. Here in Canada we have a pediactric dose for domperidone to help infants with gastric problems. As Kerri said, the benefits of breastfeeding are too good to pass up.

Warmest regards,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #5185 01/27/05 05:15 PM
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Thank you both of you. I will plan to just stay on the Domp 80 mg until she weans. I would also like to nurse for at least the first 2 years. Maybe when she is on more solids I will reduce the dosage alittle. thank you again
Julie

California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Hi Julie,

I was up to 120 mg dom/day and have slowly weaned 10 mg less per week (and I did 60 and 50 mg for two weeks each) ... now I'm down to 40 mg and my supply has not been affected. Granted, I've always had a rather small supply. Hope that helps ... good luck!

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.