Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
I've been on Domperidone for almost 2 weeks and am pumping every 2-3 hours. I'm also boosting my nutrition and taking Fenugreek. I'm not taking any hormones and am still working at getting my daughter to breast.

I'm producing about 1 oz of milk per day. What else can take to boost my milk? And how long does it take to see the effects of Domperidone?

Katie's Mom
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Katiesmom,

Although it is possible to bring in a milk supply with domperidone and pumping alone, for mothers who are either relactating or for those inducing lactation, it can take several weeks or months to achieve, depending on the situation.

This is one reason the protocols for induced lactation came into existence. For women who are unable to follow the combination domperidone/birth control pill recommended in the protocols, we have been recommending the use of goat's rue to help build breast tissue.

Would you consider adding goat's rue? It's important to discuss all of this with your doctor so that you can be monitored and educate at the same time.

best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
My baby is 3 months old. Would that be considered re-lactating?? My doctor (ob) knows I'm on the Domperidone, and I know he would prescribe the 1/35 BC pills. I was on those before. Would that really help my milk supply come in??

And what is Goats' Rue and how do I get it??

Katie's Mom
Idaho
Idaho
Katiesmom you never stopped nursing after your daughters birth right? So you are not relactating, just trying to boost your supply. Do you nurse with the lact-aid?You could add blessed thistle and you could eat oatmeal. Mostly you just need to nurse often and pump after feeds. Your supply should start building. How much dom are you taking? Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids so you stay well hydrated.

Last edited by Lalle; 11/04/06 08:12 AM.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
I don't want to get into a whole long story..but we have yet to establish breastfeeding... During the 1st week she was home my milk wasn't coming in, and she got to a point where she would scream and push away with all fours. So, we went to fingerfeeding and I was pumping. Then she was screaming from too much air and colic set in. I was barely surviving and just couldn't care for her, feed her, and pump, so I did let the pumping go. I just couldn't do it...

So, she is not at breast... I am pumping trying to give her something to come to at breast. This past week I've been laying down with her when she's alert and content and allowing her to root and nuzzle. She has done really well with that.

I've tried using the SFS and have had one positive experience with it - at the lactation consultant's office. The times I've tried to use it at home have NOT gone well.

I think now she'd at least use the Lact-Aid laying down, but she is eating much more than the 4 oz bags, and I'm not sure how to deal with that. She can really get frustrated and emotional - and when she does - it is hard to calm her down.

I don't know what to do. I didn't know this all was going to be so hard with the feeding problems and colic combined with just being a new mommy and having tons of adjustments.

Katie's Mom
Idaho
Idaho
So did you dry up totally? Sounds like you do fall somewhat in the relactating category. Do you have 2 lactaids? You could set up with two so that she gets more than the 4 oz
I think getting her to snuggle is a really good step. Just keep taking it slow and enjoy your daughter. The relationship is more important than the milk and even a little bit of breastmilk will do wonders for her.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Thanks for your encouragement, Laurie. I don't know what I'd say about drying up totally... When I started pumping 2 weeks ago I basically got only drops of milk. Now I'm getting about an ounce a day...and I can squeeze my breast and milk will start to come...two weeks ago that wouldn't have happened...

Yes, I know she benefits from every drop of breastmilk! Even some friends have occasionally given us some breastmilk to give her. The snuggling is going much better than trying to get her to breastfeed was - she has not responding negatively at all to snuggling. I try to keep it very low key, and it's easier for me to take the pressure off of her and myself... I do think laying down with her has helped, b/c then I'm not moving her toward my breast at all - I can just offer it to her and let her respond...

I would say we do have a good relationship. I am so glad I get to be home with her. It's just been so hard when I had every intention of breastfeeding her and never even thought any other way - and yet we've had so many obstacles!

Thanks again for your response.

Katie's Mom
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Katie's mom,

From what I can see here, you're doing an amazing job and should be congratulated. You have two issues here. First, babies go where the milk is so the milk needs to increase. Since you have been pregnant withint the last 3 months, using the birth control pill is not typically helpful. But you may want to add goat's rue available here: http://www.motherlove.com/product_goats_rue.php This may help to wake up the milk making structures. I'm not suggested the birth control pill for another reason, the estrogen will put the brakes on your milk production.

The second issue is getting your baby to the breast. The place and opportunity to do it is where and when your baby feels most comfortable. If it's lying down great. You may also want to try co-bathing. Many babies have rooted and latched naturally while co-bathing.

Will the LC come to your home? That's the best place to help because it's a completely different environment than her office and your baby is most comfortable in her own home with you there.

Try adding the goats rue and lets see if that helps. Kindly report back and we'll see from there. And as always, kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Best, Lenore

Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Thanks, Lenore, for the information and encouragement. I don't think the LC would come to my home. I do have some friends who are leaders with Le Leche League who I know would come - maybe I should pursue that.

I will also look into the Goats' Rue.

Thanks.

Katie's Mom
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Katie's mom,

If you email me your town, state, telephone number and first name, I would be happy to try to locate someone for you who knows what they are doing and wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg. Kindly email me at lenore@asklenore.info

best,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.