photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
to slowly wean a baby off the bottle and onto the breast? I saw the playtex nursing system which looked good...but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Well, I know the Avent nipples with #1 flow are what are recommended. I am not sure about the playtex ones.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Kansas
K
K
Kansas
I have read that Gerber Comfort Latch, Evenflo Ultra & Elite, and Playtex Naturalatch (choosing slow flow of any of these) have nipples that more closely resemble Mom. The nipple on these is shorter than on Avent.

http://www.bfar.org/nipples.shtml

Question: My baby seems to be getting frustrated on the Avent slow flow one-hole nipple. Am I doing damage by switching to the Avent two-hole as long as I stay with the slow flow?

Last edited by katiesmom; 11/14/06 08:33 PM.

Katie's Mom
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

NONE of the nipples currently on the market resemble anything close to what the nipple does in the baby's mouth. When the baby latches effectively, your nipple and surrounding tissue is drawn in to form a "teat" that goes as far back to where the hard and soft palates of the roof of the mouth meet.

Those short stubby nipples that are often seen in advertisements are meant to persuade you into thinking they are more breastlike but they're not. They are often made by the same companies that produce artificial infant milk and their goal is to sell more of their product. What better way to do that than to get your baby onto those short stubby nipples and off the breast!

To get baby from bottle to breast we tend to use the nipple baby is used to over the mother's own nipple with supplementary feeding tube threaded through. Then gradually over several days we exchange that nipple for a nipple shield such as the Medela Newborn Small with the tubing threaded through and continue until the baby is on the breast with the tubing and eventually just on the breast.

It helps to contact a board certified lactation consultant to assist you with this process. You can find one here: www.ilca.org Just click on the "Find a Lactation Consultant" button at the top of the page.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
New Mexico, USA
C
C
New Mexico, USA
Lenore,
So are you saying that it doesn't matter what bottle the baby is used to? I posted a similar question on an ABF listserv... We should be getting a referral soon from our adoption agency (Guatemala) and I was thinking I would send down some bottles (Avent? Nuk?). Is this unnecessary? Down there they usually use just the standard Gerber bottles.
Also---when you are transitioning/using a bottle nipple threaded with the Lact-aid, do you just use the latex or silicone nipple or do you also use the screw-on cap part with it?
Lou in Albuquerque
Mom to many including Estuardo, 9 mos, adopted from Guatemala and paperchasing for a baby girl!

Lenore is right.. none actually work like moms nipple. But I used the playtex disposable bottle with the slow flow. When I stopped nursing my oldest daughter and wanted to get her back to the breast I went from the normal nipple to the playtex..and then to my nipple. I nursed her bare breasted with the playtex.. Then would switch her over to my breast. It worked well.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Canada
L
L
Canada
What I'm saying is that when the baby transitions from their current caregiver to their new parents, there will be a period of adjustment with many overwhelming differences. It is important to maintain the status quo regarding the bottle nipple the baby is used to. If the caregiver will agree to provide the AVENT bottle and nipple to your baby, then that would help. Otherwise, try not to introduce too many changes too quickly. Integrating baby into your life and onto your breast is best done gently with love, compassion, and patience.

best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.