Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8578 02/18/07 01:32 AM
S
slh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello - I've been reading these boards for a couple of months and have finally decided to post. Congrats to everyone for your successes and thanks for sharing your inspiring stories!

I've been doing the Regular Protocol and have been in the pumping stage for 2 weeks (went off Yasmin, still on Dom, fenugreek, blessed thistle, daily oatmeal, massage). Our babe is due in late March. I have questions about supply issues...I pump on average 6x day (more on weekends) and currently get about 1/8-1/4oz per pump session...about 2oz over 24 hrs/six sessions. I get up to pump at least once in the middle of night. My supply has increased incrementally since I started with merely drops the first few times.

I purchased a Limerick initially and like it well enough but then I also started renting a Medela Symphony based on advice from a lactation consultant. The Symphony seems to empty my breasts better and is easier on my nipples but it's a bit pricey to rent over time...the Limerick will be a good second depending on what happens.
Questions:
1. Does my supply seem low for having been pumping 14 days now? Any tricks to help increase? (I am grateful for what I'm producing but just trying to get a sense of what I should be aiming for).
2. Has anyone also added Mother's Milk Tea and/or Marshmallow Root to their regime? Any advice/success?

I appreciate any words of wisdom! and best of luck to everyone out there working so hard to feed their babes!
--Stacy

slh #8579 02/22/07 09:05 PM
B
B
i was on the accelerated protocol (had under four months to prepare) i was at about the same as you at week 2 of pumping....sometimes to 3 1/2 ounces at that time. I had 48 days of pumping and by the end of that time was pumping 16 ounces a day. when my daughter came along and started nursing, i noticed my breasts fuller, and pumping on my work days showed an increase in volume. i definately used mother's milk tea. i drank 2 -3 cups a day. Hope this helps some! Good luck!

slh #8580 02/23/07 03:32 PM
K
KJP Offline
K
It sounds like you're doing great.
Are you taking fenugreek and eating oatmeal and drinking enough water? That's what I did (in addition to the Dom) and I got up to 20oz in a day, pumping ~5x/day.

Also, make sure you're pumping for long enough. My partner can empty her boobs and continue increasing with 15-20 mins pumping. I need more like 30 minutes (and that's double-pumping!)

Co-breastfeeding mom to our son. Co-foster-mom to 7 previous babies.
KJP #8581 02/23/07 05:14 PM
S
slh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the responses and encouragement. I can only hope to pump as much as you both (fingers crossed!) I've had about 3 weeks of pumping now am up to about 3oz total iin 24 hour period. Taking all the supplements (fenugreek, etc) and eating oatmeal each day. I'm going to try to increase my intake of the tea. I'm encouraged that I seem to increase each week even by small amounts and freezing everything I can.

From what I'm reading...I think my letdown and flow are very sloooowwww compared to some people (even with massage and compression) so it takes me 20-30 minutes to feel like my breasts have been (mostly) emptied. I'll just keep at it...appreciate the advice!

slh #8582 02/26/07 05:05 AM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi slh,

As part of my doctoral program I've been doing some additional reading and it seems that Kerstin Uvnas Moberg has found an alternative oxytocin pathway via the gut. Apparently the act of eating stimulates the vagus nerve which causes the pituitary to release oxytocin which is responsible for the let-down reflex.

So....try snacking while pumping. See if that helps.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #8583 03/07/07 08:15 AM
UK
B
B
UK
That's really interesting about snacking while pumping. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Baby Palmer is coming to us via surrogacy in July!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.