Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
ergent7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I have the Ameda Purely Yours. Is this good enough?
Oh, and what would the best hand pump be for a 22 hour plane ride? Yes, 22 hours!!!!!

Last edited by ergent7; 07/12/07 09:19 PM.
M
M
I have the Amenda, and it has been great! I never did the BCP but just did dom and herbs. After 3 months, I can get half an ounce in a pumping session. My little one can be satisfied so much at the breast, that I think I may be one of those people who doesn't pump well, though

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
The Ameda is fine for bio moms who are pumping with a full milk supply. Say if they are getting a sitter or going back to work. But it is not rated hospital grade and is therefore not recommended for inducing lactation. The pumps that are recommended for inducing lactation are The Medela Symphony, Limerick, and the Medela PIS in that order. You can also rent a hospital grade pump but in the long run it is cheaper to buy. As for a long plane ride I believe with all the above mentioned pumps you can purchase a battery pack. I think that would be a better option than a hand pump. You will likely be pumping in the bathroom, won't you? I think there are outlets in most. A hand pump will take you twice as long to do the same job as your electric double pump.
I used a hand pump after the birth of mine bio son and it was the Avent. But I also had a full milk supply and was pumping for the rare occasion that I would be gone from my child.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
E
ergent7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I wish I knew this earlier. I was going to purchase the PIS but went with the Ameda instead because I got a really good deal on it. My local rental place only offers the Ameda hospital grade which she said is the same thing as the Purely Yours. Is this true? Looks like I've got more work to do. How long will a battery pack last?
Thanks for your help.

Idaho
Idaho
What I have found looking into Ameda on their site is that the Elite is hospital grade. But, I have never heard it recommended here. The three I gave you are from what Lenore has said. I don't anything about the Elite. I don't know how long a battery pack will last.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
I had bought an Elite at one time. It does not go as fast as the Pump in Style... I was not impressed with it. I sold it for half what I paid for it. The purly yours... it does not have near the suction that the PIS has. And they more often break than any other pump I know of. The Pump In Style Advanced is a good pump to. But you can NOT control the speed on it. Only the suction. Where with the regular PIS you can control both speed and suction.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
E
ergent7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks so much everyone!
Ok, so are you saying the regular PIS is better than the advanced. This is what it says on the PIS advanced description:
Customized pumping with adjustable speed and vacuum control.
But you're saying you can't adjust the speed? It claims to be most like baby's sucking. This is the one I was going to buy originally until I found the Purely Yours barely used for a good price. I can afford the PIS but not the limerick or symphony. I just want to make sure which PIS is good before I buy one.

Thanks!

Last edited by ergent7; 07/14/07 05:09 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
Yes ergent the PIS is good. I think the advanced has only one control where the reg PIS has two separate controls for speed and suction so you can adjust independently.
I used the PIS and it worked great for me I liked it much more than the Lactina that I rented.

Central Florida
Central Florida
The PISA has only one control - for suction. There is not a control for speed but there is a let down phase that is nice. I had the Purely Yours first - I also got a good deal on it but it was way to noisy (the beeping drove me and dh kookie)and after a few months started to mess up so I purchased the PISA. It works good - although sometimes I wish I spent the extra to get the limerick or symphony. Oh well!

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
proud to be Abigail's mommy
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
I have had a PISA and a regular PIS now... I prefer the regular PIS. More control over it myself. The let-down phase is kind of silly, every woman has a let down in a different amount of time... I get a let down very quickly, and would still be in let down phase and then my best friend, let down phase would finish and she didn't have a let down yet. I think the advanced is a waste of money, just my opinion though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.