Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9481 08/01/07 11:52 AM
S
svl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am starting a diet and exercise program to lose weight, but am concerned that my milk supply will decrease. Does anyone have any information on weight loss and milk supply?
Thanks,
SVL

M
experienced member
experienced member
M
I always heard that you shouldn't start any weight loss program until you are done bf, just healthy habits... I sure could use a weight loss program though!! Be interesting to see what the more experienced women come up with ... laugh

extra helpful experienced member
IF you don't restrict your calories you should be okay. You can diet. But just trade out the bad foods for healthy meats, fruits and veggies. Don't starve yourself. Your supply will dry up 2000 caories a day should work for you.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
S
svl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you all for your helpful information. I will make sure I eat healthy and exercise to lose the weight. I know that usually the breasts get smaller with weight loss. Does anyone know if that will make a difference with milk supply?
Thanks for all your help!
SVL

Idaho
Idaho
It shouldn't make any difference breast size doesn't matter with milk supply. Even the smallest chested women produce milk supplies. smile

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
I was doing the Atkins diet and lost 50 pounds.. it never changed my supply. I was eating a healthy amount.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
S
svl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you ladies for all of your information. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
SVL

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.