photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10007 10/18/07 07:00 PM
Central Florida
OP Offline
Central Florida
As I'm typing this, Abigail is sucking on a bottle AGAIN! It's not that unusual except that for the last 3 days she has almost always refused the breast. Once, last night, I got her to bf. I try but get so frustrated when she is screaming and choking. It's never been about breast milk for me because I still don't produce more then a few drops every 2 - 3 hours from each breast - it really is solely about bonding for us. So, do I accept the 10 weeks that we have had and go on or ... I don't even know what the or would be frown
kim

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
proud to be Abigail's mommy
Central Florida
OP Offline
Central Florida
Not sure if it matters but at 10 weeks she is up to 15 or so pounds and drinks anywhere from 4 - 7 oz per feeding.

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
M
M
Are you doing lots of skin on skin? That is usually the best "prescription" for getting baby back to the breast. Take a day to devote to holding her, skin on skin, all day if you can (watch a bunch of movies with her on your bare chest!)

Are you putting her to the breast after the bottle? Diane West has a great description of the "finish at the breast" technique on her lowmilksupply.org web site at: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

Hang in there! Even bio moms with a full milk supply can go through a "nursing strike" like this!

Central Florida
OP Offline
Central Florida
The all day skin on skin would be extremely difficult as my daddy lives with us (due to medical reasons). But the next am, I gave it a shot again and she immediately took right to the breast so I guess she was just having a few yucky days. Thanks for the link - I will check it out.
Oh yeah - I also cut down on some of the citrus (pummulos) that I was eating daily - They are very strong in scent. I thought maybe she just didn't like the smell. Who knows - but the good thing is we aren't finished yet!!!1

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Yay! That is good news. You could wear her in a sling and just leave that breast exposed on the side she is on. You would be covered with the sling. I love the advice you have gotten form Maggiemom too.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Denver, CO
Denver, CO
I'm getting a Moby Wrap for this purpose. Then i'll wear a button up shirt over the wrap and baby. www.mobywrap.com

HTH,
Jamie

Wife of Craig since June 5th 1999
Collin 7 yrs
Bethany 5.5 yrs
Mandie 3.5 yrs
adopted Grady James 12.14.07
Idaho
Idaho
Jamie that is a great idea. All my friends who have used Moby's love them. They are well worth the $35 or so that they cost.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Central Florida
OP Offline
Central Florida
I have (and love) a new native sling. But, both she and I are so hot natured that neither one of us can stand it for long unless the a/c is set super low. And with our high ceilings and the temps in FL I can't afford to do that often. We have been doing alot of cuddling and she is doing ok for now. Thanks and best wishes Jamie!

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.