photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hollyl Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys! It's been quite a while since I've posted, but I would love some advice. First I need to give you a little background...

I had twins in 2003 and nursed successfully. I maxed out at 64oz per day, but was pleased with being able to give them exclusive bmilk for as long as I did.

I used the regular protocol last year when we were going to adopt. I started pumping and was up to 8oz per day within a month or so before I learned that I was being scammed.... I ended the pumping and gave up on everything.

Now, we have the *chance* to adopt again... but I am much more cautious/scared this time. I do not want to do ANYTHING until I have the baby in my arms. It was just too painful last year to be pumping while sitting with a lawyer and the other women who thought they were getting that baby.

My question.... if I did nothing until a baby was home, would it be possible to get up to a full supply? (I know that a full supply isn't the ultimate goal, but it would sure be nice at some point) What would be the LEAST STRESSFUL way to approach things? After being victims of the scam, we had our 8th miscarriage... I've pretty much topped out on bad times and want nothing but bliss if this does happen to work out. Would I start the accelerated protocol and just wait to try to nurse for a couple months? Would I jump on dom and herbs and just let her latch on and pump and just see if my body kicks in?

Thank you in advance!!
Holly

Visit my website for Custom Mei Tai Baby Carriers and more! www.hollieshobbies.net
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Holly I totally understand. Here is what *I* would do. I would have everything ready to do the protocol including a lact-aid. Once baby is in your arms nurse with the lact-aid filled with donor milk or formula and start the accelerated protocol. Once you stop the bcp you will add herbs continue to nurse with the lact-aid pumping after which ever feeds you can fit in. The hope would be that eventually you can nurse without the lact-aid. But at the least you will have established a nursing relationship and even if you continue with the lact-aid feeding it will be beneficial for baby and you.
Best Wishes to you I hope you have your little one soon.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
hollyl Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you. I didn't realize that you could have breast stimulation while on the first part of the protocol (the bcp & dom part). When I did the regular protocol last year I made sure not to pump or anything until after I stopped bcp's and started herbs.

We'll see... I still won't believe a baby is coming until he/she is in my arms and in my home!

Visit my website for Custom Mei Tai Baby Carriers and more! www.hollieshobbies.net
Idaho
Idaho
Ideally you shouldn't and while on the protocol you aren't supposed to pump. But for mom's who have little notice or in your situation who don't want the risk of milk without a baby... You can do the protocol and use the lact-aid. But you wouldn't start pumping until after you stop the bcps.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Holly,
If you have a situation, I think I would start on the protocol now. If you don't want to pump until baby was home that would be fine, but at least you would have a jump start on the protocol and you wouldn't end up with milk if it didn't work out.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.