Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10124 11/16/07 01:18 AM
P
purplek Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello,
Has anyone had experience with a baby on breast milk that is constipated? My 2eek old has not pooped in a few days, and we are currently using donated breast milk while mine is coming in.
Any suggestions? He has been quite uncomfortable. I'm used to a breast fed baby pooping just about every diaper...

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Breastfed babies can go without pooping and it is no problem. They are not constipated unless they have dry pellet like poop. Your baby will poop and it will likely be a major one. But all is well. It just means he/she is using up all the good stuff in the breastmilk. Is baby having enough pee pee diapers a day?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
P
purplek Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yes, he is wet every time I change him. I was reading that if a breastfed baby was constipated, it is because of dehydration...not getting enough milk. Is a brown bowel movement constipation for a breastfed baby? He eats 2 ounces every 3 hours. Is that enoough for a 2 week old?

Idaho
Idaho
Breastfed baby poop is usually yellow or orangish and seedy looking. Very liquid, not solid. Is he taking any formula at all? How many wet diapers does he have in a 24 hour period? Are you nursing him with the lact-aid? He maybe getting milk from you as well as the lact-aid. Is he fussy? I nursed all my babies on demand, including my adopted baby with the lact-aid. 3 hours is a long time for a 2 week old. I am not sure about the amount. I just nursed until she was satisfied.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
P
purplek Offline OP
OP Offline
P
His poop hasn't been solid, but not the typical breatfed color my other children had. No, no formula. About 6-8 wet diapers, and I'm using the SNS. I don't nurse on demand too much just because he doesn't usually demand. I'm waking him to feed every 3 hours. He seems very satisfied food wise, but not satisfied b/c of gas. Do milk (cow) sensitivities ever show up with these type of reactions? I'm pretty sure my friend still consumes dairy products.Just a thought.

E
E
I would definitely wake up a 2 week old more than every 3 hours.
How about every 2 hours?

P
purplek Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yes, I'm trying the 2 hour schedule now. He takes an hour to eat 2 ounces from the SNS so it's been a challenge. smile

Denver, CO
Denver, CO
I always fed my babies on the 3 hour schedule and they all got fat and chunky.

I'd stick to the 3 hour schedule. Just my opinion though. He'll be more likely to take a full feeding then just nibbling.

Wife of Craig since June 5th 1999
Collin 7 yrs
Bethany 5.5 yrs
Mandie 3.5 yrs
adopted Grady James 12.14.07
Idaho
Idaho
I bet he is getting milk from you. Also, yes on the dairy sensitivity. I would ask the friend to try to cut out or at least cut back on dairy. Yogurt is okay.

you might ask your friend if she is eating anything spicy...cabbage or anything that could cause gas

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.