photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10173 11/27/07 12:58 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I took Yasmin for 1 month with the Dom, then began pumping 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I had a total of 21.5 ounces for the day. I did not expect to have this much so quickly! Or maybe these are typical results, & I just don't realize it. Our son is expected to be born any day. I was wondering, though. How much is considered a "full supply"? I imagine it changes as the infant grows, but I can't seem to find the numbers on the net. Will my own supply continue to increase at the same rate it has?

Thank you!
Sherry

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Your supply should continue to increase. With that much milk you shouldn't need to supplement initially. Some women keep up with baby's demands and others don't The key is to nurse often, I prefer nursing on demand.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
A
Wow... congratulations on a great supply after only three weeks! How often are you pumping and with which pump? Any other tips for us pumpers out here?

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Sherry,

CONGRATULATIONS! You are there! The typcial newborn doesn't taken in that much the first few days so you may want to pump after feeds to maintain your supply which should grow and grow with your infant.

Remember, breastfeeding should not hurt. So make sure your baby is latched well and truly onto your breast PAST the nipple which is just an exit and can hurt like the dickens if your baby doesn't latch past it.

Breastfed babies need to feed "on cue" which means as soon as those little hands go to the mouth. Crying is a late hunger cue. On average, the breastfed baby needs to feed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours around the clock at the beginning. So keep your baby with you.

Keep up the great job you're doing. Your result is fabulous!

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the great answers & tips!

I've been using the Medela Symphony. I'm a NICU nurse, so I rented the pump from a fellow nurse who is also a Lactation Consultant.

I've been pumping every 2-3 hrs (although, I've overslept a few times & gone 5-6 hrs). Most of the time, I just pump when they start feeling full & achy. I'm also fortunate to work in an environment that is very conducive to allowing me to take breaks to pump several times a shift.

But to be honest, I didn't expect this volume this fast. I've been told it might've helped that I was pregnant earlier this year, even though we miscarried.

Thank you for your help, for this great informative website that has helped me realize that FINALLY something in my body is doing what it should.

Sherry

B
B
skchwojko ~ ITs great to hear that theres another NICU nurse on here!!!! I'm following the regular protocol and won't pump until we find out about a little one.

Your progress is AWESOME!!! I think most of us definetly hope for the same results you have had!!!!

How do you work your pumping into your shifts??? I was trying to figure out how I would do that. We have some pumping moms on staff, but they carried their babies and don't pump as often as I will need to...any thoughts would be great!!!

Congrats again!!!!

Erin

1year on regular protocol.
Nursing/pumping for one month for our sweet girl!!
S
OP Offline
S
First of all, my coworkers are VERY supportive of me doing this & help me tremendously by watching my babies (patient assignment) while I pump. I leave home a little early & pump at work right before my shifts starts. We feed our infants on a 3hr schedule, so I pump after my rounds with them (about 3 times throughout the night). Then I pump after I time out, right before leaving the hospital. Then I pump 3-4 times at home, waking up a couple of times to do it. Since my little one is due any day, I think it's been good for me to get used to being a little tired & sleeping at shorter intervals. I figure if I were in my last month of pregnancy, I wouldn't be sleeping very much anyhow. The frequent pumping is easier for me, I imagine, because I don't have any other children to attend to. I've been appreciative of this, actually, as it's given me something to do & work for while waiting for my little man this month.

Good luck to you! Our son is being delivered on Monday, & I get to room in with him at the hospital, so I'll update on how we're doing soon. The birthmother has given me permission to breastfeed him at the hospital (we have to wait 48hrs before papers are signed), but do you think the hospital will? Is every hospital/state different, or are most amiable to this sort of thing with birthmom's consent?

Sherry

Last edited by skchwojko; 11/29/07 01:13 PM.
A
A
I contacted the lactation consultant at the hospital where my baby was born in advance. Luckily in my case they were absolutely thrilled about what I was doing and wanted to help so found a room for me right off of the nursury where I could nest with baby after the birth until it was time to leave the hospital. I thought best not to breastfeed in front of our birth mom even tho she knew I would be doing it, so I just stayed in our nest and got to breastfeed real soon after the birth.
(Note, if you do this, depending on your situation, it may be important to visit your birthmom from time to time to let her know you care about her.. it can be very tough for them at this time).

C
C
I just wanted to say that you are an inspiration to the rest of us!! I'm so glad that it has worked for you and good luck on Monday!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.