Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10359 01/15/08 10:13 PM
M
mom4him Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there, I am new here, but so thankful for this site. We are trying to adopt and the process seems to going very fast!!! We could be matched any day now.

Here is a quick info on our situation. I have 3 bio kids that I have nursed for at least 1 1/2 years. The last on just finishing about 6 months ago. I am desperately hoping to nurse this child. I started out pumping for about 3 weeks. I was on ly producing about 10 drops a time and was pumping 6-8 times a day despite using blessed thistle and fenugreek. Anyway I then stopped and started the b/c and domperidone. However, I am so irritable on the pill that it is driving me a little crazy. I am still wondering if anyone can really get a good milk supply by not using the birth control pill. With all of my homegrown children I had an abundance of milk ( I think I donated over 15 gallons to a milk bank, now if only...I could have some of it back)

I need to just decide on WHAT I want to do and what is the best thing to do. I guess I would be a relactating mom, not necessary an inducing one? I think? So maybe that makes a difference.

Please give some guidance as I know there is a wealth of information from people on this site. I am praying for a clear direction that will give us the best chance of really building a great milk supply for our new little precious miracle.

Thank you

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
HOw long have you been on the bcp?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
mom4him Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have just been on it for a week.

Idaho
Idaho
I would give it time to balance out and at [b}least[/b] do the accelerated protocol if you really can't stay on it any longer. The best scenario would be to stay on the bcp until baby is in sight and then stop and start pumping and taking herbs continuing on the dom.
Do you have a lact-aid?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
Canada
Hi Mom4him,
If you still have milk and stopped bfing only 6 months ago, I don't think it's necessary to take the bcpill. From my experience, taking domperidone and herbs, might be enough to stimulate your production.
I was in a similar situation last year. I had stopped bf my bio child for 1 1/2 year, but still had drops of milk. I took Goat Rue to stimulate breast tissue growth and Domperidone and pumped... I could only pump 2-3 x/day before we had the baby. When he arrived, 2 weeks later, I could only extract 1 once/day. But 2 months later, we the help of my baby... I achieved a full supply.
Maybe you should try to send a message to Lenore?
She could help adapt the protocol to your specific situation.
Good luck,
Jalx

M
mom4him Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Could you directly email me (and I could give you my phone# to possibly call me) I have a ton of questions for you. Email is [email protected] Thank you.

We are very excited, but I feel like I am totally stressing out trying to figure out which way is best for our baby given the situation that we are in... I am still confused? Thank you

Canada
L
L
Canada
Dear Mom4him,

Jalx has a good suggestion. You can try pumping with domperidone and goat's rue and see how you do. The "pill" can be added if required. But it's important to understand that results differ from mom to mom and that typcially the breasts involute (begin to revert to their pre-pregnancy state) after about 2 months of weaning. So give it a try, and see how you do. We can always adjust this "protocol" to your needs.

Kindly discuss all of this with your doctor and let us know how you wish to proceed.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.