photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mom4him Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We have had our adopted baby for a month now. She latched on the first night we had her (at three weeks old, only bottle fed). Praise the Lord we haven't even needed a supplimenter yet. She is gaining weight great, even quite chunky already. I have been so thrilled to be able to nurse her (have 3 bio children that I also nursed recently).

My question is has anyone succesfully weaned off of the domperidone? If I have to stay on it for the whole time I am nursing her it is totally worth it, but, if there is a way that I can just totally naturally do it I would prefer that. I have already weaned off of the blessed thistle, marshmellow root and fenugreek. Mostly because I hated taking 9 pills every meal. I don't want to hurt my chances of having a really long nursing experience with our child, but I would appreciate some input.

Thank you

Mom4HIM

Canada
Canada
Hi Mom4him,

I'm happy to read such good news!
The best way to know if you need to stay on domperidone is to slowly reduce the dosage and see if there is any change in your supply, if there is, you can go back without problem.
I stayed on dom until my baby was 1 year old and nursing a lot less... then I stopped, and it was ok. Maybe I could have stopped before, but I wanted to be sure I had enough milk!

Jalx

M
M
Hi Jalx,
Maisi is now 13.5 mos old and I'd eventually like to be off the dom (w/in the next year or so). I plan to nurse her into toddler/childhood as I did my sons.
Is your baby still nursing? How old is he/she? How often does baby nurse? It's going fine w/no dom?

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

Canada
Canada
Hi Mindyfrank,
Our son is now 23 months old, he almost weaned himself, he now only nurses occasionaly. I completly stopped taking dom last summer, I think I had to much milk for what my baby was taking. At that time he was nursing mostly during the night, and in the morning, 3-4 times/day. He gradually stopped waking during the night, and so drank less. I gradually went back to work in September, and started sending him to a daycare, he got use to drink milk in a cup... I would have continued breastfeeding a little longer, but it seems that is not how it goes!
Jalx

M
M
Jlax,
That's good to know. Thanks.
I am currently taking 90mgs a day, as she still nurses alot and still wakes at night to nurse. (She is 13 mos old). My plan was to drop by 30 mgs every 6 mos until I'm off dom completely.
18mos=60mgs
24mos=30mgs
30mos=off the dom
Does that make sense?
Anyone else reading this want to weigh in?
I'd like to be off sooner but am afraid to lose supply.

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.