Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10891 05/27/08 11:57 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

I have a 22 month old son who is still breastfeeding - we started when he was 5 months old after I did the regular protocol.

Here is my question for those who have nursed toddlers. He loves to nurse, he would do it 23 hours a day if possible! BUT, lots of times he won't eat other food, often he is full from breastmilk. I am worried he isn't getting enough nutrients, or enough practice eating table foods. I have cut down the dom to 60 mg a day and no herbs so that my supply would be less, but now of course I am worried he will stop nursing as there isn't much there. I believe in extended breastfeeding, but I guess they have to stop at some point, right? At this point, though, should I just let that happen?

I'd love some advice!

Karyn

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Karyn my youngest quit nursing the day after he turned 5. I am convinced it is what kept him healthy and growing because at times his appetite was small for other foods. Even though he didn't nurse as much as your son. Breastmilk is the perfect food. I wouldn't worry too much about what else he eats as long as it is healthy food. I would just offer healthy snacks through out the day and continue to nurse.
Mine nursed at bedtime only for the last couple years. (probably from about 3 years old)

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
M
Karyn, I truly believe in child led weaning. My oldest weaned himself at 3 1/4 years old and my second weaned at 5 1/2 years old (like Laurie's child, from about 3 1/2 on he basically nursed only at night & nap and maybe once more in the day).
I agree that breastmilk is the perfect food and wouldn't worry too much about "nutrition". Maybe, though, you should offer a high protein snack before he is "allowed" to nurse. Just a thought.
Keep up the good mothering and enjoy your toddler nursling!

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

A
OP Offline
A
Ah, Mindy! Great to hear from you.

Here is the question though - should I cut down on the dom so my supply isn't as good? I would imagine the milk supply of mom's who gave birth would start to wane at this age??? I am just wondering if I have too much milk so he is too full? To be honest, too, after two years on the dom I am a bit sick of it myself - has anyone else taken it for this long or longer?

Thanks all!

Karyn

Idaho
Idaho
Karyn you can cut down on the dom, I wouldn't cut it out entirely but start scaling back. You may find that your supply still meets his demand. I doubt he will quit if the milk goes down, he may just have more space between nursing.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
M
Hi Karyn,
I totally agree with Laurie and your "hunch"...you would have a natural wane in supply at this age with a bio. If they are nursing because of "need" (which is the basis for child led weaning)they will nurse no matter how much milk is there or not. They will not starve themselves...if the milk is not there, they will eat more solids.
My 1st son nursed thru my 2nd pregnancy and at 4 mos my milk was virtually gone...but he continued to nurse until my milk came in again when he was 2...and until he was 3. Realize, though, that I was nursing 2 kids and had a HUGE supply when HE decided to wean. I think weaning, and age of weaning, has many more factors to consider than with how much milk is currently available to them.
I agree to gradually try to decrease the dom if you want. Eliminate 10mgs, 1 week at a time, and see how it goes.

The great thing is that you are so concerned with his needs and engaged in meeting them appropriately. You will "feel" it if something is not going right. Keep up the good lovin'!
PS I didn't even "notice" who I was writing to! Good to be in contact again!!!!!!

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.