photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10902 05/29/08 01:02 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Ok, after a failed match and having pumped while waiting, I have decided that I don't want to do that again...too painful - emotionally and physically(engorgement is NOT fun!)

Anyways, my plan is to wait until baby is in our arms before I BF/pump. If that is the case, how would I proceed with a feeding/pumping schedule to get my milk to come back????

THANKS!!!!
Erin

1year on regular protocol.
Nursing/pumping for one month for our sweet girl!!
bbyfaith #10903 05/29/08 03:15 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Erin,
Sorry to hear about your failed match. I went on the regular protocol while we were waiting. I was on it for 8 months. We did have a failed match, but it was a little more than a month before the baby was due and I hadn't started pumping yet. When we got the call for our daughter, she had already been born. I started pumping the day she was placed in our arms. I was able to get up to a full supply within 2 weeks. If we adopt again, I would be tempted to do this again because I didn't have milk if we ended up in a failed match.
My suggestion is go back on the BCP's and dom and wait for the call that your baby is here. Have a lactaid or SNS (although I found them hard to use) ready and just start pumping after the papers are signed.
Good luck
Jennifer

jenmarko #10905 05/29/08 12:41 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Jen, Thanks. The failed match was difficult, and even more so with ma having milk already. Although I do feel blessed to know that it worked, and that I even got to experience engorgement, as awful as it was. I thought that was an experience only for birthmoms!

Our failed match was over a month ago now, and I have since started back on the protocol. Lenore was WONDERFUL in guiding me through that time, as she always is. I just wasn't sure how to proceed once we are matched again, considering I don't want to pump ahead of time.

So to recap what you said: When DD was in your arms -- papers signed, etc, you started BF/pumping? Did you pump after you BF every time? How did the schedule go? How often did she nurse at that point? I DO have a lactaid that I plan on using at first.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!
Erin

bbyfaith #10907 05/29/08 09:41 PM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Erin,
In truth the lactaid didn't work well for me. Infants are so tired and I couldn't get her on with it well. So I just didn't worry about breastfeeding her at first. We bottle fed her and I just started pumping every time we fed her (or more often if possible). I would try to put her to breast once a day or so - sometimes with the lactaid, sometimes without. We were out of state in SC so we went to town a couple times and I missed a pumping session here or there. I tried not to stress out about it. On our 16 hour drive home I pumped every two hours in the car using a car adaptor (what else is there to do on a long drive). I had been pumping a week and I think that really helped my supply. The next day I had about 1 ounce each time. I started breastfeeding her every time and supplementing with a bottle after each feed and pumping after each feed as well (it helped that my husband was home). We did this for another week and by this time she was not taking much after each feed and I felt like if we dropped the supplement and added in a feeding or two during the day I was making enough. We have been bfing exclusively ever since. I did keep pumping after the night feeds and morning feeds for a few more months and built up a good freezer supply. That helped when I had an appendicitis when she was 3 months old.
I hope this isn't too confusing. If the lactaid works for you - that is great. I just couldn't get it.
Jennifer

jenmarko #10908 05/30/08 01:20 AM
Idaho
Idaho
The lact-aid takes some practice. I was an experienced breastfeeding mom and I still had to fiddle with it. I had to use tape to keep the tube in place. Some women use a bandage and just slip the tubing through each time. Some moms find it is easier to latch baby and slip the tube into the corner of babies mouth.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #10920 06/02/08 06:15 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks, Jen! I have a little better idea of how to work it at this point. Gives me hope that I'll still be able to do it, without preparing in advance of baby's birth. Did you use a special bottle/nipple? Hopefully I'll pick up a supply just as quickly as I did the first time!!

Laurie, thanks for your thoughts on the Lact-aid. I hope to have it work in the beginning, but with what you said, I won't be crushed if I can't get it right away. I think it'll be difficult, especially considering I'll probably be away from home when babe is born.

Thanks ladies!
Erin

bbyfaith #10927 06/03/08 02:16 PM
J
J
Thank you, Erin, for sharing your story, painful as it is. Truthfully, that is exactly my biggest concern about the protocol -- that I will go through it, do all that pumping, and then have the BM change her mind. I had been toying with the idea of just taking the BC and dom, and then waiting to pump, but didn't know how successful that might be.

Does anyone else have experience with this -- either successful or not?

Thanks!
Janeen

J in TX #10949 06/06/08 03:49 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Erin - We used the Born Free bottles because I wanted something that was BPA free. She didn't have a problem switching between nursing and the bottles.

Janeen - I wrote above about how I did not pump in advance because we had no notice, and I had a full supply for our baby by 2 weeks.

Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.