photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I was on the accelerated protocol and pumped for 6 weeks before our little girl was born this past Wednesday, almost 2 weeks early. By the time she arrived I was pumping between 6-7xday and was getting about 9oz per day. We're working on the latch - she seems to do better on one side and latching on the other is often a challenge.
She's also feeding a lot more in the last 24 hours (she's 4 days old) and I'm feeding her every 1.5 hours at most (during the night it's more like 2 hours).

I don't see how I can pump along with everything else, but I'm worried she's not going to get enough milk (and am worried that's why she's feeding so often). After each feed she seems satisfied and will generally sleep (I've had to feed her on each side, twice, a couple of times), but it doesn't last all that long.

I'm hoping all this feeding is going to increase my supply to meet her demand - I just worry if I pump after the feed, and then she needs to feed again in an hour, I'll run out of milk.
Can anyone give me some idea if this is all ok? Just a note, she is voiding her bladder/bowel multiple times a day, so I know that's a good sign)
Thanks in advance.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
KKB - I did try to pump after a few feedings in the beginning. Just to help increase my supply. Maybe after one or two of the night feeds when she is going 2 hours. It sounds like you are doing great though. Keep up the good work.
Jennifer

K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Jennifer-
Were you worried you would "run" out of milk?
That's why I don't want to pump while she's feeding so regularly...although that cluster feeding seemed to last 24-hours and she seems to be back on a 2-2.5 hour schedule now (fingers crossed this continues for now!).

Idaho
Idaho
KKB I think you are doing fine. I would try to nurse at least 20 minutes on the side you start with then as long as she wants on the second side.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Lalle -

She will only nurse for 12-15 minutes on the one side before she's done (sleeping, nipple released) - I'm hoping that's because she's only 5 days old and she'll get more efficient and feed longer but who knows.
It all seems much harder at night : )

Idaho
Idaho
I think she is nursing fine for a 5 day old. You are letting her nurse for as long as she will on the first side so that is good. It is harder with an adopted child I think. Simply because your body didn't have the prep of getting up to have to pee umpteen times a night and not being able to be comfortable to sleep which is all prep for being up with baby. I co-slept with my babies so I would just roll over and nurse. Don't worry about her nursing too often worry if she isn't nursing enough. She sounds like she is doing just fine and so are you Momma. Hang in there it will get easier.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
KKB - I did worry that I would run out of milk, but everything says that the more that is drained the more that will be made. I did try to do it more when I knew I had more time before the next feed (at night) or when I had more milk (first thing in the morning).
Jennifer

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

A couple things to help you out...babies undergo growth spurts during which time mom may feel like she's running a race to keep up. These occur approximately at 4 days, 12 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. They are designed to help your breasts meet your baby's needs by ramping up supply and at the same time provide added nutrition to your baby who essentially needs to double their birth weight by about 6 months of age.

Pumping for about 10 minutes after feeds can help but also, if you apply breast compression while feeding, this accomplishes pretty much the same thing. It's like a walz, compress 2 3 let go, compress 2 3 let go.

Milk supply goes according to our natural circadiam rhythm and so we tend to have more milk in the morning and less as the day goes on.

As far as timing is concerned, some babies can drain a breast in 2 minutes flat and others like to take their time and dine so to speak. Feeds should not really exceed an hour and baby would generally let go on their own but some don't. The thing to watch out for is a baby that looks like they are well latched but falls asleep within a minute or two at the breast. This is a baby who may not be transfering milk well and is shutting down to conserve energy. A baby who is well latched and breastfeeding without mom in pain and whose little ears wiggle a bit and swallows can be heard and is gaining weight is doing fine.

Right after birth some babies do lose a bit of weight as they shed excess fluids but they need to be well on their way back to birth weight within 10 days to two weeks or that's a baby who may have an issue. Regarless, they should be back to birth weigth by the latest 3 weeks of age.

If any of this is an issue, please contact a board certified lactation consultant to do a home visit and check everything out. The peace of mind is well worth it. You can find an IBCLC at www.ilca.org

Hope this helps.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.