photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11121 07/17/08 07:00 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Forgive me if this sounds whiney, but I am at the point of being beyond frustrated with my body. I have followed this protocol to a "T" and done everything I have been told to do..dom, fenugreek, pumping every 3 hours with an expensive rental pump, up in the middle of the night,eating oatmeal once or twice a day. I am only making 1-1.5 ounces in 24 hours and I am completely annoyed.
My questions are:
1. Is my milk in? I have been pumping for 16 days..I would think it is "in"..it looks milky white, not yellow. Or does it sometimes take longer for the milk to come in fully.
2. Is this "it"? Is this really all I am going to make?
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I am in tears over my body not doing what it is supposed to. I am tired of hearing of all these people who after 2 weeks are making 10-12 etc ounces a day. I appreciate your responses.

Last edited by ethiopiamel; 07/17/08 07:01 PM.

Melanie (mom to 3 boys and our baby girl waiting for us in Ethiopia)
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Melanie (((HUG))) I know how frustrating it can be. 2 weeks may seem like a long time but give yourself some more time. Your milk is "in" but no this isn't it. Some people take a little longer and it is a challenge to give milk to a pump for some. That said the pumping will continue to stimulate production so hang in there.

My situation was a bit different, I already had a nursing baby when I went on the protocol. I did it to increase what I was producing for my daughter. When I pumped I maybe got an ounce each time although she was nursing without supplement at all. So I ma sure once your daughter arrives and you get her on the breast things will pick up too. Which pump are you using? Have you tried to express by hand at all?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #11127 07/18/08 12:06 AM
So. Cal.
So. Cal.
Melanie, if it makes you feel any better, I am on day 15 of pumping every 2-3 hours and once at night, and I still am only getting drops. If I collect it, it is about 1/4 of an ounce per day. When I hand-express, the drops drip steadily, but the pump just isn't getting it out.

I have actually had more success with a hand-pump than with my rented Lactina. Go figure. I am visiting my sister, and am anxious to get home to my Pump-in-Style Advanced as some friends have told me that it worked better for them than the hospital grade pump.

I have been on the long protocol since last Sept.

To top it all off, the baby is coming early (damn OB's want to early-induce the birthmom), so I won't have the full 6 weeks of pumping. But I am still not discouraged. I strongly believe that this is going to work. I believe that when I am holding that baby, I will be affected chemically and make more milk and that the baby will get more milk out of me than the pump.

I *am* concerned because I haven't had any withdrawal bleeding, but perhaps that is because I was on the protocol for so long.

Do you have a SNS just in case? I got the Medela SNS for this baby. I tried the Lactaid with my son (with no meds) but it was so complicated with all of the tiny plastic bags that I quickly became overwhelmed and gave it up.

Can you get any friends to pump some breastmilk for you? My sister is part of a Lactivist network and she is having all these women pump and donate for me. They are donating because they admire me for doing what I'm doing.

What we are doing is worthy of admiration. It isn't easy, but I feel it will be worth it in the end, even if I have to supplement.

I suspect that being stressed and frustrated doesn't help with milk production either. I was so freaked out last week when I found out that the baby was coming early. I feel much better this week and am getting a tiny bit more milk too.

Lots of hugs to you. You are my sister in this.

Love,
Elena

Mama to 4 sons & 1 daughter: Carlos/Rafael/Loran b/d. 3-9-05; & earth angels Xavier b. 12-3-06 & Ivy b. 7-29-08
Preg. Loss & Child Death Support.
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you Elena and Laurie. I do have a friend who is donating some breastmilk that I am very grateful for though I want to make my own!!! I am bringing a SNS with me to Ethiopia as Tessie will be 5 months old and will need instant gratification I am assuming to stay on breast. I will also bring a shield.
I actually had email contact with Lenore today. I currently have a mirena IUD in place and she and Dr Newman suspect that might be a problem. I will be getting it out asap. Hopefully by next tuesday if not sooner...my hubby is so supportive in all of this and I have renewed hope that getting the IUD out might make a significant difference. Until then I will continue the protocol with the drippy drops and occasional exciting spray!!
Thanks all. I will update about a week after the IUD comes out and hopefully will have great news.

E
E
Melanie,

Have you pumped before with your bio kids? I can't remember.
I'm glad you got some insight on the IUD. Don't be so discouraged. The pump is nothing like a sweet, soft, cuddly baby. My milk is still increasing after 5 months of our son being home. It is not a quick, easy process like it was with our bio kids and since our babies are older when we get them, it takes some time to work up to their demand. My son still uses the lact-aid and I've just had to adjust my expectations. He needs it less and less as my milk increases and the solid foods increase. But he still nurses all night long (except one feeding) without it and wants me for comfort. It's precious even though I don't meet all of his needs for food. We are incredibly bonded and this wouldn't have happened if I gave up because of worry about supply. (I never made much prior to his coming home either.) I hope I'm not sounding too preachy...things WILL get better for you, but they may never be exactly what you want so try to relax about it and be patient, ok? You don't want your worrying to get in the way of bonding (with or without nursing).
Hope this helps.

E
OP Offline
E
thanks...I don't think that is too preachy at all. I appreciate your opinion and really hope I have similar sucess as you have. Tess will be about 5 months old when we meet her. I think that is about how old your son was right?
You give me hope all will be fine! melanie

hon don't get discouraged. I know its easier said than done. I pumped for months.. I mean months to get to 10 ounces a day. And then it dropped to 8. And never came back up. So your doing good to me.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #11146 07/20/08 03:02 AM
E
E
Yup, he was 4.5 months.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.