Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11181 07/23/08 06:04 PM
K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I did the accelerated protocol and have been breastfeeding my daughter now for 6 weeks, and supplementing her feeds with breastmilk. Around week 3 she started straining, grunting, and occasionally crying almost as soon as I start breastfeeding her (no longer than 3 minutes in). I would say it happens at least 75-80% of the times I feed her - she'll also pull on the nipple. I thought it might be a dairy thing, but there's no pattern to when she does this (although the morning feeds tend to be worse, as does the second nighttime feed) - neither of which are times I would have recently had any dairy.

I've been working at keeping her on each side for 10 minutes before using the supplement, but it takes a lot of work. I'm not sure if my supply is just frustrating her, or if she's getting more foremilk and not enough hindmilk, or if there's anything to that. She has gained weight well since we started supplementing her and by week 5 was up just over 2 lbs since birth.

Anyway, I can't seem to find any info on this and I'm not sure what to do. It does seem sometimes like she's in pain, or at minimum very uncomfortable, and it's making breastfeeding difficult for both of us.

Anyone have experience with this?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Are you supplementing with a lact-aid or using a bottle? If you are only using the lact-aid I would say add it a minute or two into the feed or just start with it. She sounds like she is getting frustrated.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
Oh did you see the new video Lenore posted? It is at the top of the page in each forum.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Laurie -

I was using the tube to supplement but at 6 weeks we switched to supplementing (with breastmilk I had frozen) with a bottle and things have been much better. Not to mention the feeding times went down from well over an hour to more like 35 minutes. So we're both much happier! I'm still BF her first for as long as she's interested, and then using the bottle.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia

KKB,

I have had the same grunting and pulling from my daughter Audrey. I realized that for the most part, it was because I had not let down properly yet. She also has a lot of gas and I know her straining was related to that as well.
I also put to breast first and then the bottle. She doesn't seem to mind the switching and latches on well.

Linda

K
KKB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Linda - I wondered as well if that might be it.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.