photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11268 08/02/08 02:12 PM
E
OP Offline
E
My sweet Tess will be a little over 5 months old when we get to Ethiopia. She was breastfed by her Ethiopian mommy for the first 5 weeks or so of her life. She is now either being cup-fed or bottle fed (not sure). My questions
1. should I attempt to put her to breast in Ethiopia or wait until I get home?
2. How do I go about getting her to latch? (not the latch specifics...I mean how do I encourage her to want to nurse?)any suggestions to gently do this without stressing her or me out would be appreciated. What are the realistic expectations that she might actually latch to breast and nurse at such an age?

Melanie (mom to 3 boys and our baby girl waiting for us in Ethiopia)
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I would carry her a lot in a sling or a pouch. You can encourage her to latch by snuggling with her with your breasts bare and her in only a diaper. Skin to skin contact is good. I would try lots of skin to skin and definitely try to latch her while you are in Ethiopia.

Last edited by Lalle; 08/02/08 03:18 PM.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.