photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
Oh Melanie, I'm hoping it will work for you. I'm waiting to see if it works for you then I'll try it myself. Good luck.

Like you, the fenugreek has done nothing so far to me ! So much for all the talk I've heard about it :-(

Hapi
Hapi #11378 08/27/08 12:16 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I will post sometime next week Hapi,,,I am hoping it works too!! Melanie

Melanie (mom to 3 boys and our baby girl waiting for us in Ethiopia)
ethiopiamel #11409 08/30/08 06:19 PM
So. Cal.
So. Cal.
Mel, I have some ideas for you for latching. With my son (who was almost 3 mo. on gotcha day) getting him latched was not a problem. Keeping him latched was. I was using a Lact-Aid and it was extremely difficult to use. He had been exclusively bottle-fed since birth and he wasn't used to having to work so hard for his milk.

I am now using the Medela SNS with my daughter. It actually has 6 levels of milk flow. It comes with 3 sets of tubes (small, medium, and large). But each set of tubes has two levels of milk flow. You can get more milk flow if you open the second tube (each set of tubes is actually 2 tubes) as this provides anther vent hole. What I do is I tape the second tube so it is pointing up and then open it up after baby is latched and sucking from the first tube. You have to close it back up prior to unlatching the baby or the milk will flow out of that tube.

If you use the large set of tubes with the second tube open as a vent you should get a flow that is more like the flow from the bottle. You really want the baby to be getting enough milk when latched or she will get frustrated and reject the breast like my son did.

Also, if you haven't already, you should study the latch videos on Dr. Newman's site. Some of them are also on YouTube. Helping your baby to get the proper latch will help your supply. Proper latch is what sends the signal to your body to make milk. Bad latch doesn't send that signal.

Getting a good latch with the SNS is extremely difficult and requires a lot of practice which you won't have time for with an older baby. Have you considered working with an LC that has a lot of SNS experience prior to going to Africa for your gotcha? I would recommend that. Don't know how you would do it without a baby, but I think it could be very helpful.

I hope this helps.

I wish I had more time. I have learned some wonderful tricks with the SNS: a better way to tape it than on the instructions that come with it, how to get a good latch with it, how to get a latch without the tape, etc. For me using the SNS exclusively (no bottles) is really doing wonders for my supply.

Mama to 4 sons & 1 daughter: Carlos/Rafael/Loran b/d. 3-9-05; & earth angels Xavier b. 12-3-06 & Ivy b. 7-29-08
Preg. Loss & Child Death Support.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.