#1361 05/15/03 08:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi my name is Rosie

For the last 2 months I started pumping and taking herbs Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and Marshmallow Root. After 2 weeks, My rented pump was malfunctioning so I purchased an AVENT and continued pumping by hand and manual stumulation 5-6 x a day while the pump was being repaired and sent back to me. I ordered dom and began taking a month later. After a month, I am hand pumping about an ounce to an ounce and a half a day. The milk has come out in big drops. Yesterday, I got a little jet stream from my right breast which is the breast that started working first. I have since recieved my pump again, but I feel that it is not strong enough for my needs (Whittlestone) so I am sending it back.

Here is my question. Should I stop pumping and go on the accelerated protocol?

I went to my doctor and she would not give me an RX for Yasmin because I am taking an ACE inhibitor (Lotensin 10mg) as a preventative measure for kidney protection. I am a diabetic. Yasmin, as I read and my MD read, alters your potassium if you are on an ACE inhibitor. It could throw my electrical system (my heart) off. This is what the MD says. Anyway, I thought that I could stop the Lotensin for 6 weeks and take the Yasmin, then go off the Yasmin and continue the Lotensin. What do you think?

Do you think that I will have more milk production? Or should I just get a Medela PIS or Ameda Purely Yours pump and keep pumping. I am kind of afraid of the Yasmin, but I wanted to ask someone with more experience with this. I am also afraid of weight gain since I am already 60lbs overweight.

Thank You for listening

Rosie
(waiting to be a mommy)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,
They say that Yasmin acts like a K sparing diuretic,,,yes I did pee alot on it,,but I have peed alot the whole 7 months on the protocol, on Diane as well. I gained 30 lbs in 4 months on Diane, it makes you extremely hungry,,,then after switching to Yasmin, I gained another 15 lbs fairly quickly. Everyone is different. I found I was very bloated on the Yasmin., so much for it being a diuretic.
I am prone to diabetes, I was actually on insulin during the IVF tx's d/t high levels of progesterone in the suppositories. You can pretty much guarantee you sugar will go up on the bcp.
You will need to keep a close eye on it. I would get a second opinion about going off your medication and going on bcp. It seems reasonable , if it is only for the accelerated protocol. I was one of the lucky ones who also gained weight on the domperidone and pumping last August,,with no bcp. I just stopped the bcp after 7 months I had had enough. I started pumping this morning at 11 am, already having lots of clear/brownish fluid from the left and big drops of fluid from the right after only 3 pumpings.
I had no luck with just domperiodone and pumping, but some women do great on it.
Hope this helps, I am sure Lenore will add her advice also!
Take care,
Cathy

experienced member
experienced member
Hi Rosie,

I didn't like the Whittlestone either. I ended up with a Medela Pump in Style thanks to Lenore's urging, and I'm VERY happy with it.

If you're already pumping 1 to 1 1/2 oz, you probably don't need the birth control pill. Pumping with the Medela together with the domperidone should do the trick.

Either way, you'll need a pump. Lenore usually recommends that if you already have milk, try pumping first with the domperidone and see how it goes. You can always try the birth control pill later if your doctors says it's ok.

Remember, the pill just speeds things up. You're going to have milk no matter what you do. So better slow and steady than fast with kidney damage huh?

Esther

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Esther

thank you for your reply and encouragement. I am pumping about 1 to 1 and half oz a day right now. I noticed a couple of jets in both breast occasionally spraying. I was pregnant one time about 3 years ago for 10 weeks. Unfortunately I miscarried.

You mentioned the Medela PIS. I am really unsure which to get. I looked at stats on both the Ameda Purely Yours and the Medela PIS. The pumping and cycling action seem to be the same but the medela strength is only 5 higher than the Ameda. Also the Ameda has that special filter that does not allow the milk to flow into the tube and does not allow bacteria to contaminate the milk while the Medela does not. The PIS is not removable in the original and the Ameda is removable. The Ameda comes with six bottles and the medela comes with 4. The Medela is more expensive than the Ameda. But I still see the Medela recommended more than the Ameda. Can anyone tell me why? Actually, in my opinion just by looking at the stats, the Ameda looks like the better deal. I don't know, convince me. I would sure hate to make another mistake like I did with the Whittlestone! I really want to do the right thing and I do not want to keep spending money that I do not have!

Thanks again Ester

Rosie

extra helpful experienced member
Rpsie,
DO NOT get the purly yours. It has weak motor that burns out easily. I know many a women who have had to contact the company for replacements. ITs not NEARthe pump that the PIS is. I have tried them all from hospital grade pumps to the Whittlestone. Please do not get that pump. The reason why it cheaper is because it is a cheap pump. The suction is not as good as the PIS either.
hugs to all nona

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
R
R
Nona

Thank You for giving me your experience in pumps I will purchase the Medela PIS for sure now.

I still am wondering if I should go on the accelerated protocol or should I wait to see if after I begin to pump with the Medela my milk will increase?

Thanks

Rosie
(Hopeful mommy to be)

I am sure your milk will increase with the PIS. Hey why don't you get the PIS first.. try pumping and then decide.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you Nona

I have ordered the PIS on E-Bay. Hopefully it will come soon and I can begin to pump with it and see just how much increase I get. If I still have not noticed a considerable difference in a month then I will reconsider the protocol. I am trully surprised that I have had the success I have with all the gliches I have encountered throughout these last 2 months. I th ink the one thing that really has gotten me this far is my tenasity with pumping (even with a hand pump) and taking all my herbs and dom everyday.

I trully hope that my hard work will pay off when I get to see our baby suckling at mommy's breast. I am hopeful that we will get a call soon. I am also glad that I gave myself plenty of time. It does take quite a while to develop the breasts and produce the milk.

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Rosie

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.