Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all, but esp to those extended bf adoptive mamas,
I nursed my bio sons, practicing child-led weaning, to the ages of 3.5 & 5.5, obviously tandem nursing for 1.5 years. My daughter was adopted at birth and has been breastfed for her 20 months of life, using dom. I was at 120mgs per day for the first 16 mos and am now down to 60 mgs per day (for the past 6 mos) with no problematic change in milk supply. For selfish reasons, (aka 35# weight gain) I want to wean from the dom completely, but still practice child-led weaning. My idea is to drop 10mgs per month for the next 6 months, till i'm off dom completely, but continue to nurse on demand.
Has anyone done this successfully?

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

extra helpful experienced member
Congrats on the extended nursing. My DD is a surrogate baby , 4 years old and still nurses at night. Only I am on the protocol again so I have no milk. But use the bottle adapter and nurse her that way. I have never weaned off the domperidone. But wanted to say hi.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Nona! Thanks for the reply.. I was hoping to hear from you! I did, however, think you were on the protocol again (congrats!).

So, what kind of milk do you nurse her with and would she nurse if she wasn't getting milk? Have you asked her if she'd nurse if there's no milk there?
(Kian, my oldest, nursed thru my preg when I had no milk...he was 14-23 mos old and nursed all the time with little to no milk. He was thrilled when it came in!)
(Jaeger nursed during times in my life when I had little milk too.)
Great to hear from you Nona....and thanks for being such an amazing help to so many mamas. Hugs to you.

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

Idaho
Idaho
Mindy it has been so long ago that I don't remember how I weaned off the dom and I probably didn't do it the "right" way but I nursed MY daughter without it well into my pregnancy with my son. She stopped on her own at just shy of 2 yrs old but picked back up an occasional nursing after her brother was born for the next year or so. So I would say that just decrease it slowly and see how it goes. I bet it will be fine at this point.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Mindy,

Thanks for the compliments smile. No... Olivia will not nurse without milk. I just use regular milk with her. I plan to nurse her when I start pumping. Which should be in the next month. I think she will nurse just fine without the lact-aid if I have some milk. But boy..... does it hurt nursing. Because being on the protocol I am so sore! Not that shes latching wrong.. my boobs are just really sore at this point still.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
H
H
How I read it on this site is that you wean off the domp. one pill at a time for a week then another pill for another week and so on till you stop altogether.

I'll go search for the page where I saw that and I'll post the link.

Good luck.

Hapi
H
H
There's the link:

http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/domfaq/howlong.html

It has all the info you need I hope.

Hapi
Idaho
Idaho
Nona that is because your body thinks your pregnant smile and it does hurt to nurse about 5 months into a pregnancy. That is when Rebekah quit because I would wince when she first latched and she would stop and say "hurt you Mommy?" It was so sweet. So we just started snuggling.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Oh Lalle I know! I know my body thinks its pregnant. I even cry at stupid commercials! IF I can just make it through this last month before I start pumping. But boy ooooooch... it does hurt when she latches... Sometimes it does get better...sometimes it don't..

A
A
Hi Mindy! How are you???

Our son is now 27 months and I weaned myslef off all meds when he was about 22 months - I also was sick of the extra weight (15-20 pounds) and tired of taking meds, and the expense. I went of 10-20 mgs at a time every 5-6 days. He still nurses several times a day but I don't think I have much milk for him...now it is mainly for comfort which is fine with both of us!

BTW - I lost the weight within a few months, it just came off after the dom was out of my system...

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.