photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
X
xianzai Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hi I'm a new dad of a 5 week old daughter and I would like some advice on burping. We are breastfeeding and I bottle feed when mom is sleeping. With both mom and the bottle feed she usually either doesn't burp or takes forever to burp
If she hasn't burped and we put her down she usually spits up and won't settle.
We burp with her on a shoulder or sitting upright holding her head patting her back.

What is the accepted thing for burping? Does a baby have to burp after a feed before they sleep?
Is there any danger if they don't burp and spit up while lying down?

Thanks very much

extra helpful experienced member
What I did for our hard to burp baby was. Put her on your knee... lean her back a little. Like if she was reclined a bit..bounces her on your knee.Very small fast bouncing... kind of like vibrating her a bit. The leaning back makes the line to her stomach straight. Rather than slumped forward kinking her up. It always worked for our hard to burp baby. The air would come right up in a bit.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
There is no danger if they don't burp. It is just for comfort. We had a hard to burp and there were many times she just wouldn't burp no matter what we did. Spitting up happens too, sometimes even if they do burp. I would try burping, but don't worry if it doesn't work.
Jennifer

X
xianzai Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I read online someone suggested holding the baby sitting upright and moving their upper body around side to side and back and front in a circular motion.
I tried it and it somewhat works well.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.