photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
X
xianzai Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I have some questions about frozen milk.

What is tbe best way to thaw it?
Other then not using a microwave is there anything else not to do when thawing it?
Once it is thawed how long will it last in the fridge and at room temp?
If it is thawed and warmed up but not used can it be re-fridgerated and then rewarmed and used at a later time?
If the baby doesn't drink it all at one time can it be saved and rewarmed or put in the fridge for later?

Thanks very much

extra helpful experienced member
you can rewarm expressed milk that your baby does not finish. You can thaw the milk in the fridge. Or you can run it under warm water to thaw. I always ran it under the water. If you have thawed frozen milk. I would not leave it out at room temperature for more than a few hours. Now... if its freshly expressed milk can be out for 8-10 hours. Frozen milk that has been thawed is only good for 24 hours in the fridge

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Best way to thaw it is in a bowl of warm water. This is also the best way to warm it.
Thawed milk will last in the fridge for 24 hours. At room temperature, I'd say no more than an hour.
If it is thawed and warmed up but not given to baby it can be refridgerated for up to 24 hours and then rewarmed again.
Generally it is said that you should throw away anything that has been partially drank by baby. But I have refrigerated a partially drank bottle and used it at the next feeding. I wouldn't do this if your baby has any immune issues.
Jennifer

I would NOT throw away breastmilk at all! partially left bottle of formula yes. But not breastmilk. Breastmilk is more durable than formula. It has live cells in it that make it superior to formula. Feed the baby what it will take. Put the rest back in the fridge and heat again. I have thawed milk and fed to my daughter. What she did not drink was left out 2 hours and she drank the rest. I never had any problems with it. She ate every 2 hours and the exta milk was left many many times and drank later.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
I agree, do not throw out your breastmilk.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
X
xianzai Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Many thanks for all the advice

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.