Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11999 10/31/08 03:08 PM
X
xianzai Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Not sure if this is the correction forum location for this question.
So far breastfeeding is working great but I want to have a backup in case and the thought of feeding my daughter something called formula is pretty scary so does anyone know of an alternative to formula?

I recently found an organic formula by myorganicbaby, has anyone tried it?

How about soy milk, rice milk, rice dream, water with nutrients in it, fresh fruit or vegetable ( carrot ) juice watered down somehow or something else?
I realize that a baby cannot eat yet but it is possible for them to digest a fresh juice in some way?

What do people do in countries with no access to formula if the mom loses her milk supply?

We will not use cow and likely not goat milk.
I spoke with Lenore about this and she said there isn't much available other then formula.

Thanks

Last edited by xianzai; 10/31/08 03:10 PM.
R
R
To tell you the truth, it's best not to have a back up. Breastfeeding can be difficult and a backup might seem tempting when things get tricky. But as soon as you start supplimenting you run the risk of reducing your milk supply and believe me it's no picnic to build it back up. I'm having to build up a low milk supply due to latching problems and it's difficult. I've been doing almost nothing but breastfeeding for the past four days.

People have used everything from cow's milk to soy milk to feed babies, and they keep the baby alive, but they can never provide the right balance of nutrition for babies like breastmilk can. Formula can't either, but it comes closer than anything else. The best thing to do "just in case" is to pump some milk and keep it in the freezer. If you need some supplimentation, it will be there for you, plus the pumping helps build up your supply.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Babies cannot digest fresh juice. If you are feeding baby every 3 hours or less (feeding on demand) your supply should maintain according to your babies needs. I wouldn't worry about supplementing.

Last edited by Lalle; 07/22/09 01:25 PM.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.