photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
We have a match for a newborn due Jan 20, 09. I'd like to try to breast feed, but will have to get started soon. Does the brand of BC pills matter? I have several packs of Apri (generic of Desogen) on hand. Do I have to get a prescription for Yasmin or Microgestin, or would these brands be ok?

TIA

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I think the type of pill DOES matter because of the amount of hormones in it. If you only have a short time, I'd try to get recommended types.
Jennifer

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Jennifer--I've been trying to look up the drug ingredients for all of these options to see if they're comparable, but I don't know enough about the chemical and brand names to know if they're talking about the same thing or not. I guess I'll just try to see if I can get in with my dr. this week...always such a hassle to get an appointment!

Cheers,

Danielle

Idaho
Idaho
Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin are the recommended ones. Maybe email Lenore. Her email addresses are in this link http://www.asklenore.info/contact.html

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
S
S
I was given a script for Yasmin but my pharmacy gave me Ocella which is supposed to be the generic. I sure hope that is ok? It costs $25 less a pack.

Idaho
Idaho
I would call the pharmacy to make sure it is 100% the same in make up.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Generally generics are the same, but you can call to make sure.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.