Next Thread
Print Thread
#12317 01/15/09 11:06 PM
B
BBKT Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello,

I'm trying to induce lactation (my sister is having triplets and I want to help as much as possible). I will not actually be breastfeeding, but giving her my milk. I've only just begun and already have many questions. smile

I've read everything I can about it and I've started pumping two days ago. I was very surprised and pleased to see that I had small clear drops forming at one nipple after only a few sessions of 10-20 minutes of manual pumping (I've never had children but my mother and sister are very fertile, so I'm assuming I am too). I've bought a mechanical double pump and it hasn't arrived yet, so I wanted to try out the smaller manual pump I have and see how it works/felt. Is the feel of the manual pump much different than the mechanical pumps?

I've had several small drops of clear milk/fluid from one breast (my larger, dominant breast), but nothing from the other breast. Is this normal? Should I try harder/pump more with the other breast?

I've ordered Dom online but it will be a while before it arrives. I'm hesitant to use it longterm and really only wanted to use it until I got a good supply going, then wean off slowly, but continue pumping for as long as possible. I know about the supply and demand, so I figured once I started, I could get a good supply going and then stop using the Dom. If my supply drops after stopping the Dom, I could pump more to get my supply up.

Another question is more personal: how do I explain this to people? I've tried talking to some co-workers and friends about it. They just gave me weird looks and changed the subject. I talked to my doctor about it and he wasn't helpful at all other than saying "I'm sure your sister could just use formula too". I'm really not surprised at his response- he's a military doctor and military healthcare is not the greatest or most compassionate. Is there any way I can better explain this to others?

BBKT #12319 01/16/09 01:50 AM
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
If you are going to go the natural induction method you need a double electric pump and take Fenugreek 3caps 3X a day also Blessed thistle same dose. Pump every 3 hours minimum and once during the night. When are her triplets due?
As for tapering off the Dom some women are able to but if you see a drop in your supply pumping more usually isn't enough. That is why we taper off slowly and when it starts to dip we go back to the previous dosage and stay there. So you maybe able to cut back on the Dom but may not be able to get rid of it entirely. What are your concerns for taking it long term?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #12324 01/16/09 07:23 AM
B
BBKT Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My sister is due May 23, but that's for full term and the doctor is saying there's no way she'll go full term with them. They are thinking end of March/early April max. All three babies are doing well so far, but they are about to put her on total bedrest. She and her husband are concerned that if the babies are too small and premie, they will need all the natural milk they can get. My sister has a very small frame and we are both concerned she won't produce enough milk, so that's why I'm looking into it. smile They will definitely need the colostrom and a special premie formula, but we discussed freezing my milk until it they are of an appropriate age and weight to get regular breastmilk (I think its 10 days or so for full term babies? Probably 3-4 weeks for premies?).

My concern isn't specifically with Dom, but with medication in general. I've never been a fan of meds and only take them when ABSOLUTELY necessary. Just a weird quark I have...

Also, someone posted on here about the Merina IUD. Can I not induce if I have an IUD? I have the non-medicinal 10 year IUD. I don't remember the prescription name of it, but it's the one with copper threads wrapped around it to act as a natural spermicide. Back to the military doctor issue: they originally refused to give me one because my husband and I don't have children yet. I had to literally throw a fit at my doctor and then get my husband's squadron commander involved to get one for me. I'm 25 and have had it in 4 years.

Are there issues with IUDs in general, or just the medicinal 5 year IUD? Someone wrote something about punctured falopian tubes??? Is inducing completely wrong for me if I have an IUD???

Thanks so much!

BBKT #12327 01/17/09 03:43 AM
Idaho
Idaho
I am totally with you on taking meds. I don't even take pain reliever for a head ache No OTC anything for me. I am herbal homeopathic girl all the way. I started with herbs and a lact-aid when we adopted Rebekah, then I added Dom and pumping eventually I went on the accelerated protocol and took the birth control pill and dom for 42 days then just the dom and herbs and pumped and nursed. You might look into doing the accelerated protocol. It is by far the better way to produce milk. You take the BCP active pills only. You aren't using it as birth control I don't think the non medicinal IUD will affect your inducing. But I am not sure. I would email Dr. Newman or Lenore to find out for sure.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.