photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MomofM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have been trying to get my now ten month old son to latch since we took custody a few weeks ago. He adamantly refuses and gets very upset (screams and cries) when I try. I've tried switching from the bottle to my breast when he is very sleepy, playing when he is awake, using maple syrup, priming the lact-aid so he can get milk right away (and squirting a little in his mouth, which worked to get my older daughter to latch), and various combinations of the above.

I am now out of ideas and don't want to keep upsetting him. I have wondered if there might be an anatomical issue as his tongue often appears twisted and he has a strong tongue thrust reflex still. He refused to allow a sugar covered pacifier to be placed in his mouth while at the doctors. He had a hard time latching to the bottle when he was first brought to the care center, to the point where he became very malnourished and needed a feeding tube. He loves to snuggle so the intimacy isn't a problem.

Between what I pump and what is donated he is exclusively breast-milk fed, but if I could get him to latch I'd be so happy! I nursed my older daughter for close to a year and want him to have that experience, too.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by MomofM; 06/20/09 12:05 AM.
M
M
Hi, I just wanted to let you know I PM'd you.

Blessings smile
Lily

M
MomofM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Lily,

I got your message, thank you. I'm replying here to complete the thread. I have decided not to continue to try to get my son to latch. It is becoming clearer that there are anatomical issues making latching difficult for him, based on current medical exams and his history. I did nurse my daughter and I am sorry not to do so with my son, but we have plenty of other ways to bond and he is still getting 100% breast milk.

M
M
You are very welcome. I am sorry to hear that you are not breastfeeding, but that is wonderful that he is still getting 100% breastmilk.

Blessings
Lily

M
MomofM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi,

I'm updating this in case anyone is doing a search and this applies to them.

I tried to get my son to latch for a few weeks close to a year ago. He was having none of it. I stopped trying and it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. Since then we have learned that he has significant feeding issues including an oral sensitivities, sucking, and swallowing problems. He probably wouldn't have been able to nurse even had he been born to me and has needed significant medical intervention to get him eat and drink anything.

I mention this in case anyone is having difficulty getting their baby to latch, that there may be underlying issues that need to be investigated.

We found other ways to bond and have he is very attached and happy.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.