photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
ergent7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am so grateful to this protocol and forum.
I was able to have a successful relactating experience because of it.
My son just turned 2 and is happily nursing.
We did the full protocol and used the Lact-aid for about 8 months (he came home at 4.5 months). I supplemented with formula as I was never able to have a full supply or enough to have a freezer stash. We've enjoyed about a year without any contraptions and the experience has been amazing!

For those of you who are losing heart or wondering WHY IN THE HECK are you going through all this. It is worth it!!! And no matter what your story is, you won't regret having put forth all the time, emotions, money and effort!

My best to all of you,
Emily and Abel (2, home from Ethiopia 2/08)

Last edited by ergent7; 10/03/09 08:51 PM.
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Thanks, Emily!

I've been on the full protocol now for 8+ months. I'm not even to the hard part yet (pumping) and I have days when I'm tired of having to remember to take these pills!

We are expecting our baby girl home from Ethiopia (Illien Adoptions) in January. She'll be 10 months old. I'm really hoping she takes to breastfeeding and am actually looking for advice from those who started nursing when their infants were older (like Abel or even older).

Thanks for the encouragement!
Jenny

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have been pumping for 3 weeks now (with no match even in sight yet..) and what keeps me going is the constant increase that I see in what I am producing each day!
It seems that each week, I can say we are increasing by half to one full ounce. If I could only keep that up, I am on my way to fully breastfeeding a baby sometime in the near future!

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
E
ergent7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Amazing! Good job!

M
M
I looked up induced lactation so that I could breastfeed our son we were hoping to adopt. I did not have much time to use the protocol. I started in the beginning of June, and our son was born on August 20th. I followed the protocol as faithfully as possible, taking Yaz and domperidone. I stopped taking the Yaz 1 week prior to his due date and began to pump about 6 times per day and I was only getting a TOTAL of 1 ounce per day and was feeling very defeated! I really felt like this wasn't going to work. I emailed Lenore, and she encouraged me and advised me to continue on and to pump following breastfeeding our son for the first week, or so.

We were at the hospital for our son's birth on Aug. 20, 2009 and he nursed for 40 minutes immediately following his arrival. He has been nursing like a champ since then. I took Lenore's advice and pumped for 20-30 minutes after breastfeeding (total of about 1.5 hours of nursing/pumping every 2-3 hours) for the first several days and didn't begin to supplement with formula until he was several days old. When I did supplement I exclusively supplemented with a small feeding tube in the corner of his mouth while he nursed that was hooked to a syringe where he could SLOWLY get formula while he sucked. THis took about an hour per feeding, but I really feel like it helped with stimulation and increasing my supply. Now, at 10 weeks, I breastfeed almost exclusively and only have to give him about 6 ounces of formula per DAY!! I could probably cut that back too. He's gaining weight like a champ, at eight weeks he was already 12 pounds and he started out at 7lbs 5 ounces! His pediatrician is very pleased with his/our progress.

So, I hope you feel encouraged! Breastfeeding your adopted child IS possible and is a wonderful experience. It feels like our little Isaiah loves to nurse more than our two biological children did. He nurses for hours straight, when I let him. Also, I recently had swine flu (H1N1) and my older two children got it, but Isaiah, who is receiving all kinds of wonderful antibodies and immunity through my breastmilk DID NOT GET IT!! Yay!! Nursing has been so wonderful for bonding as well, it's just been an amazing experience so far, and I have the feeling this is going to be a long and healthy nursing experience, if he has his way!

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
That is so great! I am glad to hear the good progress. Congrats!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.