photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Why so many posts about the pill, domperidone etc? I am wondering why those aren't in the medical intervention section...

Erin

Newbie here, I wanted to try to induce without medications and would like to hear from anyone who was successful. Our surrogate son is due on 28 Aug, do I have enough time to do this without domperidone? I have done nipple stimulation for a week with TENS machine, and just put the Avent duo pump together. All suggestions are welcome.

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
You always have enough time but without domperidone it is doubtful that you will get very much. I used domperidone and herbs and pumped for 7 months in preparation for our daughter's arrival(born via GS) and got 6 ounces a day on average. You can always try it and if you aren't getting much you can add domperidone.

For reference a breast-feed baby needs between 24-30 ounces a day, this doesn't increase as the baby ages like formula does.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
They don't need 24-30 ounces to start though. They do build to that.
Newbie, I did only herbs (More Milk Tincture) and no pumping ahead of time. I started my daughter off with a lact-aid filled with formula. In a couple weeks I was producing milk. Not much but there was some there. I then switched to dry herbs and I was taking Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and alfalfa at about 6-7 months I added the dom. I was maybe producing 1/3 of her intake by this time.
We had all kinds of issues with formulas so I decided to do the accelerated protocol when she was just over a year. She was eating solids and after 45 days on the BCP (birth control pill) I stopped and started pumping, I had continued to nurse her through this with the lact-aid except in the mornings I was able to nurse without it and I was taking the dom. After stopping the BCP I was able to nurse her without any supplementing at all.

That is just my story. Some women do have success without the dom and bcp. It depends on what your goal is. If you want to bring in a full supply your best bet is to do the protocol. But if you want to stay all natural then here is what is suggested.

Take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle 3 caps of each 3x a day Drink plenty of fluid and eat oatmeal daily. Pump with a hospital grade double pump working up to 8 times daily or every 2-3 hours during the day and once at night for 10-15 at a time on no higher than medium suction. Get the lact-aid system so that any supplementing you do is done at the breast. Stay diligent and don't give up. ANY breastmilk you produce is a victory for your child and breastfeeding is very good for their development even if you have very little milk. The actual act of breastfeeding helps eye coordination as well as brain development.

Come here often with your questions We are all here to help you.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
I decided to try the Yasmin and Dom two month method. I thought about the injections our surrogate went through to carry our baby and realized I could do this much for our baby too. I'll let you know how things go once I get started.

Thanks,
Tracy

M
M
I was able to successfully breastfeed my adopted baby with no prep. We brought her home at 18 days old and I just started putting her to the breast! I started pumping and using domperidone. She was only 4 lbs when she came home and had a weak suck and could not get any formula from the Lact-Aid or the sns, so I kept trying a couple of time a day with the SNS and kept pumping and bottle feeding.

After about a month she could get her formula at the breast with the Lact-Aid so I stopped pumping and exclusively breastfed with the Lact-Aid. Gradually she needed less and less formula. By 5 months old she only needed 4-8 ounce in the evening and was EBF the rest of the day. (I think it really helped that I kept her in bed with me and she nursed a lot during the night).

At 6 months old I was able to stop all supplemental formula and exclusively breastfed her along with introducing solids. I started very gradually weaning down my dose of domperidone at this point.

She is now 12 mo old and still breastfeeding smile

I'm down to taking 80mg/day of domperidone

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.