photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Mexico
OP Offline
New Mexico
I know even for a non nursing human being we're supposed to drink 6-8 8oz cups of water per day (or maybe it's 8-10), but I have been reading on different websites that a lactating mother should only drink to thirst (and they show one glass of water) as drinking too much can put a damper on milk supply. So does this mean we drink one extra glass of water more than a non nursing mom? or just one glass a day or as needed to satisfy thirst? I love to drink water but I don't want to put my supply at risk and I'm super confused, I was always told to drink lots of water when I'm nursing as breast milk contains mostly water. If anyone has any feedback on the subject please let me know. As of now I'm drinking a full 8oz glass every time I take my Dom and Herbs, hopefully this isn't too much or too little. Thanks for reading ladies.

Proud Mama to my precious adopted blessings Zariah Sept 17 2008 Mateo born Feb. 3rd 2010
J
J
I have also read in *Making More Milk* by Diana West that too much water isn't good for one's supply. The advice to drink to thirst is probably a sensible one. A full glass of water 3 or 4 times a day is probably not excessive.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I tried to drink 8 8oz cups of water (or other liquids) a day. I was definitely more thirsty when lactating.
Jennifer

New Mexico
OP Offline
New Mexico
Thank you ladies for the quick reply. I also read this evening that it is 12 or more glasses of water that can cause a decrease in supply. So I suppose I should be safe with 6 or so cups of water. I guess we'll have to wait and see so far my supply has been just fine.

Proud Mama to my precious adopted blessings Zariah Sept 17 2008 Mateo born Feb. 3rd 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.