Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cappy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Can I PLEASE get some feedback on this? I'm about ready to just throw in the towel. I did the menopause protocol. I have breastfed before but it was a long time ago and briefly. I was taking 80mg domperidone and 3 Fenugreek capsules daily. I am eating oatmeal. I have tried compression and breast massage with pumping. I just increased my Domperidone to 100mg today.

I get about 6ml in the morning pumping, followed by about 3ml in the next pumping, then get only about 1ml or nothing at all in the other pumpings throughout the day for a total of maybe 10ml a day. That's it. I've been pumping for 2 1/2 months. Babies are due any day now. I have a Lact Aid device since I know I'll need it.

QUESTION: Does everyone else get a lot more milk than this? If I am getting such small amounts, will it pick up after babies start sucking (I'm expecting twins)? Or is this as good as it gets?

I never expected to bring in a full milk supply but I certainly did hope for more than I'm getting.

New Mexico
New Mexico
What kind of pump are you using? Also you should be taking fenugreek 3 capsules 3 times daily at 610mg per capsule as well as blessed thistle 3 times daily 3 capsules each time at 390mg per capsule, that should help increase a bit as well as pumping every 3 hours, it's tough but it pays off. I started getting 3.5 oz's per pumping session on my 3rd week of pumping. I also got up twice at night to do so just to make sure I would produce a nice amount. How often do you pump? I use the Limerick pj's comfort jr. and it is by far the best pump I've used. Another good pump is the Medela Freestyle I noticed the suction is better than the pump in style and it's portable no plugs needed so you can literally pump anywhere I have both pumps and when I'm lazy the freestyle certainly comes in handy. When your babies get here I would imagine your milk supply would increase due to the babies actually being at the breast, a lot of it can be psychological, at least it was for me. Once my baby got here I was producing so much more. Hope this helps. I am no expert but I am 4 months into nursing my son and so far we have been very successful. Best of luck to you and congratz on your twins! How exciting!

Proud Mama to my precious adopted blessings Zariah Sept 17 2008 Mateo born Feb. 3rd 2010
WV
S
S
WV
I am getting drops in the bottom of the bottle each pumping session now, but that is all. I don't even think you could measure it in ml. I've been pumping for 2 months. I, like you, am post menopausal. I take 120mg of Dom daily, as well as 3 fenugreek and 3 blessed thistle 3 times a day.

I'm very frustrated by it... but it is something, so I'm continuing.

C
Cappy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you ProudMommy. I have a Medela Pump N Style. I try to pump every 2 to 3 hours but I do not get up at night to pump.

Steffydoodles, that's about where I am at. I was not getting enough to measure the first month but then gradually got 1ml, then 2ml, etc. I am frustrated that I don't have more by now. I am newly menopausal and had an early menopause. I also breastfed when I was younger. I don't think my boobies are all old and dried up!!! But maybe they are and I just can't accept it. :-( I will hang on a bit longer until babies get here and see if their sucking helps. If I don't see some vast improvement, then I won't continue this. It's just too hard and it hurts!

NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
I am not familiar with the menopause protocol. Did you prep with several months of BCP and Dom? How many months? I did the regular protocol for 10 months prior to pumping. My production was slow but very steadily increased. My baby never took to the breast so I exclusively pump 18 oz daily - I've been pumping 6 months. I know I'd make more if she would nurse.

Hang in there. The bonding at the breast will be worth it. Your milk is liquid gold - any little bit it worth the effort. I promise!

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
C
Cappy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Rapids, I had already been on estradiol and progesterone (the two hormones in bcps) for many months before starting the domperidone. I then added in the domperidone along with the hormones and took that for 6 weeks before I stopped the hormones and started pumping. I got drops of milk the very first day I started pumping so I assumed I was doing well. It has increased but not by much. I'd like to be getting ounces instead of milliliters. It seems like so much work for so little gain.

C
Cappy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Rapids, I had already been on estradiol and progesterone (the two hormones in bcps) for many months before starting the domperidone. I then added in the domperidone along with the hormones and took that for 6 weeks before I stopped the hormones and started pumping. I got drops of milk the very first day I started pumping so I assumed I was doing well. It has increased but not by much. I'd like to be getting ounces instead of milliliters. It seems like so much work for so little gain.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Cappy,

Although I didn't do the post menopause protocol, I can understand your frustration. I do want to encourage you with 2 facts. First, any milk you produce will give your cells to your twins, you will be directly helping them grown. I found that so cool.

Secondly, babies are experts at milking you~ Pumps aren't the same. I started the protocol 12 days after my DD was born. I used SNS ( boo) and then lact aid ( yay!) I thought I wasn't producing much since when I pumped I only had 3 oz per feed. After asking the gals on the message board, they assured me that DD was probably getting more than I thought. Some had used a scale before a feed and then after to measure the amount. I almost had a full supply after 4 months and I only supplemented at night. I BF until DD was 14 months. I wouldn't trade that time for anything!
I have no doubt your twins will increase your supply as they suckle. It is a strong bond, and your body will respond to the stimulus of the sucking better than pumping.

Be encouraged. Breast feeding isn't just about producing milk.

Linda

I really appreciate reading your posts. I only in my second week of the post menaposal protocal. I'm glad more people are posting. I will not be puming until I have been on BC for 2 months so I will not know how I am doing. Our baby is due on Aug 28th Best of luck to all of you.
Tracy

WV
S
S
WV
Rapids, I was on the protocol for the recommended 60 days. I took yasmin and domperidone for that time period. After 60 days I stopped the yasmin, started pumping, and upped my domperidone dose after a week of pumping.

I just upped my dom dose again. We'll see if it helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.