Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
So, here's the deal. I started the regular protocol mid July as we had no baby in sight. We are presently being considered for a baby due the end of October... may or may not happen... but it seems as soon as one situation passes, another presents itself, so regardless of this particular situation, I still have to think things through.

For this particular situation, I would have to decide between only being on the pill for 2 months like in the accelerated protocol and pumping ahead of time to be ready, or, taking the pill for 3 months (regular is 4 remember) and only pumping a week or so before he arrives and using the supplementer in those early weeks. When I did the accelerated protocol 5 years ago, I did have a full supply for the first 3 or so weeks, then my supply went down (lumps, thrush, etc.) and never returned. I am more educated now though.

Anyway, part of me thinking taking the pill longer and using the supplementer at first is best as I will not be quite as tired from pumping by the time he comes, and even though it is not a full 4 months on the pill, it's still better than the accelerated. But... anyway, curious to know anyone's thoughts on the matter if you care to share.

Joy

Joy, mommy to three adopted blessings ages 5 and 3, and new preemie (born at 33 weeks)
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Joy,
I did the regular protocol both times we adopted. I started on the protocol with no baby in sight and just stayed on it until the adoption (8 months the first time and 10 months this time). The first time, we had a stork drop situation, so I didn't pump in advance. I caught up to her needs in 2 weeks and ebf for 18 months.

This time we had notice, but I still decided not to start pumping to far in advance. I started pumping 10 days before the baby was born. I didn't have as quick of success, I think because there was no baby to stimulate supply. Baby is 10 days old and I am still supplementing, but think I am close to catching up to her need. I just didn't have the stamina to pump too far in advance. I also have young kids at home, and just couldn't do it that long.

Good luck to you.
Jennifer

TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
Jennifer,

Thank you for your stories, that does help. It is way different this time around having little ones at home vs. the first baby and stamina for pumping, that is way true.

How much time were you on the pill for this time around? Also... here's a new question: When doing it this way, basically not pumping until baby comes and using supplementer, did you let the milk flow from the supplementer right away, or what? I know now they are saying to give baby all you have first before inserting the supplementer, but I would think in the situation where there is no supply that you better let the baby get some milk right away to encourage him to stay on, right?

Joy

Joy, mommy to three adopted blessings ages 5 and 3, and new preemie (born at 33 weeks)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I was on the pill for 10 months this time. I actually didn't use a supplementer this time. I tried it last time and found it frustrating. I just bottle fed after nursing this time. If I can't catch up in a reasonable time, I might try the Lactaid, but if I can catch up, I won't need it. I would probably try nursing with the supplementer for the first few days.

Jennifer

TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
Yes, that's what I'm thinking... it was really a pain last time... made me feel like less than a mom to use it... weird I guess, but it was how I felt. But this time, I think I can psyche myself up for it and just know ahead of time I'm gonna use it at first. And after remember all the issues with it, I'm gonna do all I can to solve those problems before they start, that's for sure. Thanks for your input!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.