Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13831 09/08/10 07:30 PM
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
After being on the regular protocol for nearly 2 years and no baby in sight, I finally went off the protocol. I've been off about 3 months, have had my thyroid medication adjusted, have lost some weight, and feel great. I got a call yesterday, and today I brought home a beautiful baby girl!

So... 2 years, milk and no baby. Now, baby and no milk. I already started the accelerated protocol. I have 51 days worth of BCP, so I was thinking that would be a good amount of time to do the accelerated protocol. Also, I was thinking that I would start with 8 dom (2 @ 4X a day), and after a few days, bump up to 12 (3 @ 4X a day). I want to maximize my chances of being successful, and would really like to end up nursing exclusively, but if that doesn't happen, I can live with it. I just want to get as close to that goal as possible, but I don't want to do anything dangerous or stupid.

So... how does the plan sound?

Thanks!
Janeen

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Janeen Congratulations!!! Your plan sounds good. You can nurse with a lact-aid until you finish the protocol. Best wished to you

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Janeen,
Congratulations!!!

It can be done! I started the accelerated protocol when my DD was 9 days old
I used SNS from day 10 and only to BCP for 30 days. The first day of pumping I had drops.

I discontinued the SNS ( major muddle and frustration) and started using the lact aid when she was 2 months old. BIG change. I also increased the domp to 120 around that time. That helped as well.

I was able to provide 90% of DD needs, and BF until 14months.

We found out that she was lactose intolerant at 11 months. I was so happy that she was getting Mama's milk instead!

Even if you are on the BCP and not producing milk, I think using the lact aid helps your body get into gear for when you DO produce milk! Plus it's a wonderful bonding time. Be prepared for soreness at the get go, and use lots of lanolin on the nipples.

Good luck and welcome new little one to your famuly

Linda #13835 09/09/10 04:54 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Congratulations!

I think I would just do 30 days if you see breast changes, and I would probably just do 80 mg while on bcp's and then increase to 120 mg after you come off of them.

Good luck to you.
Jennifer

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks, everyone! I will follow your advice -- I will plan for 30 days, assuming I see breast changes. Last time, I had drops while I was still on BCP. I am hopeful that since it has only been a few months, I can get there quickly. I'll also stick to 8 dom a day until I stop the BCP, and then go to 12.

I actually have a lact-aid, but find it pretty intimidating... all those parts!!! I haven't tried it yet.

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Janeen,

I thought it was pretty intimidating as well. Before the first time I used it I put it all together and filled it with water. I had my husband practice with water as well. It really is easy to work with once you get the hang of it.

Good luck and Congratulations!!

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
I agree with JenMarko's post. Good luck! How exciting!
Jenny

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.