Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13870 09/20/10 10:21 PM
S
Sheryl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using prometrium instead of provera along with the domperidone. My RE suggested not taking the birthcontrol pill (over 35) and taking 100 mg of prometrium instead of 2.5 mg of provera. Has anyone else done this? has it worked okay? Is 100 mg of prometrium equivalent to 2.5 mg of provera?

Thanks much,
Sheryl

D
D
Since no one else has said anything, here, I will! What I would do is just take the domperidone and start pumping, when you think you are getting close to possible placement of an infant. Since we know that many moms get very good milk supplies by doing that, I don't see any reason to try any other medication with the dom, if you don't want to take the BCPs. I don't know if it is generally known on this site, or not, but most moms who do nothing but get the baby suckling with the Lact-Aid produce somewhere around half of what their babies need. Adding domperidone to that makes a significant increase.

Best Wishes,
Darillyn

L
L
Hi Darilyn: Trying to figure out where projesterone is recommmended instead of yasmin. Any thoughts? thanks.

D
D
Lois, I haven't been here in a long time and just now saw your question to me. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm happy this was brought up. We have new protocols for mothers over 35. We ask that you kindly replace the Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin with either Provera 2.5 or prometrium 100mg in the protocol you wish to follow. It's a personal choice as to which one to use. The remainder of the protocols are unchanged.

Warmest regards,
Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Michigan, USA
D
D
Michigan, USA
Hello All,
I am new to the boards. My husband and I are in the process of adopting. I breastfed all 3 of my biological children and had a great supply. My youngest is 5 and I plan on re-lactating for our adopted child. I was just wondering if anyone had insights for me on the likeliness of my success following the regular protocol. Does the fact that I had excellent supply with my other children mean that I will likely have good supply using the protocol? We are just starting the adoption process so I have lots of time. We would like to adopt asap after we finish all the paperwork, any ideas on when I should start the protocol? Thanks in advance for any input!

Kim - Mom of three and hopefully more!

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hello Kim,

I BF our 4 bio sons, the last being born 19 years to when our adopted daughter literally appeared at our doorstep. Because of travel, I was unable to start the accelerated protocol until she was 10 days old.

I put her to the breast with SNS ( but later switched to lact aid, MUCH better) and after a month of the protocol, had drops on first pumping.

I was able to achieve 90% of DD milk supply. I think I would have had more if I hadn't been under a tremendous amount of stress being a house mom to 9 girls at the same time!

However, it's was not the same as my bio BF experience. I had high expectations of that being the case. Many have said that doing the regular protocol increases the possibility of a higher milk supply, so I would say you have a great chance of success!

I wasn't able to connect at high speed internet until DD was 3 months old, so when I found this board, it REALLY helped. Be encouraged. There is a ton of personal experiences on this board that will benefit. One last note, I was 46 when I re lactated~

good luck!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I have one bio son who I bf successfully for over a year.

I have since adopted two daughters. I did the regular protocol with both of them and I was able to ebf them from 2 weeks on (with DD1 I had no notice so I started pumping the day we were placed with her and caught up to her need in 2 weeks. With DD2 I started pumping about 10 days before she was born but she ate more than DD1 so it still took until she was 2 weeks old to catch up to her needs). From that point on I never supplemented.

It is different though. I don't have as abundant of a supply as I did with my son. I have enough for what they need, but I can't pump a ton extra. It was a lot of work getting my supply up.

I started the protocol while we were still waiting and was glad I did because I was ready to start pumping when we had a stork drop situation. The second time we were matched early, so I would have had time to start the protocol, but I was already on it. I didn't want to start pumping too early because I didn't think I could sustain pumping long term. I also didn't want to have a ton of milk if a situation didn't work out. Even the second time, I debated not pumping in advance at all.

Good luck to you!

Jennifer

Michigan, USA
D
D
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the encouragement, girls! I am so excited and will be meeting with my Dr. in a couple of weeks to get the ball rolling. It is great to have support as I go through this process.

Kim

S
S
First-time poster. We started this protocol a few days ago. I went with the Prometrium because it's micronized (i.e., natural?) progesterone instead of synthetic progesterone (like Provera or what's in BCPs), which I've read is "more dangerous." It's been tough. About 25 minutes after taking the progesterone each morning, I feel like I swallowed at least 20 mg of Valium - inexplicably tired, dizzy, foggy, almost nauseous, etc. I thought it was the Dom but Googled it on my break this morning and read that this is normal for progesterone; one gal even said you're not supposed to operate a vehicle while taking it - yikes! I didn't get any paperwork with mine since I ordered from InHouse Pharmacy. Anyway, I'm phasing my dosing to the evening. Hoping it will help...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.