photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hi there,

Here is my story. I have no children, so I am inducing lactation for the first time with no pregnancy history.

I am waiting to adopt a newborn, hopefully soon, as in by the end of 2010 or early 2011.

I began the accelerated protocol on May 18th 2010, and started pumping on July 26th 2010.

I take 3 dom 4x day and eat oatmeal 4-6 times per week. I only occasionally take blessed thistle and fenugreek only because I am bad at taking it/don't have the desire to take it. I just don't like taking 6 big pills at once. Plus I never noticed much of an increase from it. I do however notice a big increase when I eat oatmeal.

I am pumping 11-11.25 oz a day now and I am in week 12. I do not pump at night, but I will once we are matched.

I have 180 bags of milk in my freezer, most of them in 2 oz increments. I have over 2 1/2 gallons total in my freezer.

I also have a lact aid which I will use if I need to.

I want to know what you all think my chances of exclusively breastfeeding a baby might be? How much would I need to be pumping a day to consider it? My LC told me newborns eat 16-22 oz a day, so I have a ways to go huh?

Thanks

Erin

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
WOW Erin,

You are doing fantastic!
Once you have your baby at breast your milk production will increase. As the saying goes around here.., " breast pumps only pump you, babies milk you', Might sound weird to put it that way, but it is true. So much nicer to looking into your precious baby's face.

I think that your chances of EBF are super good. Hope you get a placement soon.
Newborns don't eat a whole lot and more than likely, your milk will increase with the stimulation of the baby's sucking.

I would be strongly encouraged if I were you.

good luck!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Erin,
I would also say you have a good chance.

A brand new newborn is only drinking abou 8-12 oz in the first few days so you should be supplying full amount at first. Then they slowly increase to an average of 24 oz from 1-6 months.

For DD1 I did the long protocol and didn't have notice so started pumping the day we were placed with her. I caught up in 2 weeks and exclusively breastfed (ebf) for 18 months.

For DD2 I had notice, but only started pumping 10 days before she arrived. I was pumping about 4 oz a day when she was born. I started nursing her at 2 days old when she came home from the hospital. I supplemented with frozen milk. She was a bigger eater than DD1 so it took me until she was 3 weeks to catch up with her need. She is now 2.5 months old and is ebf.

I think my supply increased so quickly because I had the babies with me. Part of it is psychological.

Good luck to you.
Jennifer

BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Looks like you are well on your way to being able to exclusively breastfeeding a newborn especially! Good for you! I was making between 9 and 10 ounces/day when my daughter was born 7 months ago. We got her at 12 days old and I only ever supplemented up to 8 ounces/ day. Sometimes a little more at night. There are people on this site who excludsively breastfeed so it is totally possible!

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.