Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14048 03/25/11 07:10 PM
K
kitkat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
First, let me start with how excited I am to begin on this journey. I am following the advance protocol as prescribed by Lenore. The baby we will be caring for is to be born in June. I'm hoping to get about 4 - 6 weeks of the protocol going and then stop the provera and start pumping.

I have a few questions about mixing herbs and meds. I started taking the domperidone and provera yesterday. Prior to it's arrival I had been using Goat's Rue from Motherlove and Shatavari. Is it ok to be mixing all of these? I kind of felt like maybe it would enhance (and maybe speed along) the actions of mammary development and milk production.

Also, is it pointless to start pumping while still on the progesterone? Or would it be helpful?

I am 42 and have one ovary, no uterus. I have 3 children, who I breast fed successfully. The youngest is 14 years old. My husband and I were asked to give temporary care for this infant. We both felt the best start for this young life should include the nurturing and nutrition breast feeding provides. Even if I can't provide all the nutrition, I know at the very least some will be of benefit and the nurturing will of course definitely be. As I stated above, I am very excited about this. I never dreamed I would have another baby to nurse. I have always missed it from the time my youngest was weaned. I am so grateful for this opportunity. Thanks for your support.

kitkat #14049 03/26/11 12:55 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Pumping while on the provera defeats the purpose. You are trying to trick your body into thinking it is pregnant and then stopping the hormone and starting pumping makes your body think it delivered and needs to make milk.

I don't know about the goats rue or shatavari. My understanding is that they are to be used if you can't take the bcp or the provera.

I had great luck with the protocol. Milk doesn't come in like a pregnancy (takes longer and builds slowly), but I did get a full supply.
Good luck!
Jennifer

jenmarko #14067 03/31/11 05:06 PM
D
D
I have heard that there are things you should not combine with shatavari or goat's rue, but I don't know if that is accurate. There is a Facebook page called "The Leaky Boob" where I have seen several moms post about that.

I fully understand your sentiments about having another baby to nurse! I have a new grandson and I would love to be able to nurse him when he cries, like I did with his dad. It has been 14 years since my youngest child weaned and I still miss it, too. Before I had any children, I thought nursing for more than six months or so was a very long time but, when Joanna weaned at 20 months, I thought, "NO, not all ready!". She was my earliest "self-weaner".

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.