photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
OP Offline
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
It's been over a month since I started this journey. Definately getting better than when I started. I started the domp on the 22nd, however, I am confused about bcp! I am on Nora-Be progetin pill only for endo, been on it since the 11th! Should I continue to take it, I've got this funny feeling that its hindering my milk? Or is this considered one of the protocols, or can this bcp be used for the excell proto?

Somtimes the best gift God can give is patience
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
bcp's do hinder milk. That is why they are taken during the preparation phase - to stop the milk from coming in.

If you do the accelerated protocol, you stop taking the bcp when you start pumping.

I don't know anything about that pill. I would e-mail Lenore directly.
Jennifer

D
D
What have you found out? Are you taking BCPs as part of a relactation protocol, or as birth control? In general, BCPs inhibit milk production, so if you need that, you should probably find another form. We adoptive moms tend to forget that some ladies actually need birth control, but I was recently reminded on another website!

The best thing is to pump, take dom and herbs, eat oatmeal, lots of fluids,etc.. It is also possible to get an older baby to take the breast, although it does tend to take a fair amount of patience and creativity! My oldest adopted daughter, Julia, started nursing 19 years ago, when she was just turning a year old. I could never respond to a pump very well, but produced a fair amount from having the babies nurse with the Lact-Aid. Julia nursed for 13 months.

Have you tried goat's milk with your son? Of course, it is no where near as good as human milk, but some kids do better on it than other milks so I thought I would mention it. I used it with my last three kids. I was able to get raw milk, just pumped from the lady goat, most of the time, but you can get fresh, Pasteurized, goat milk in lots of supermarkets, under the Meyenberg label. They also sell powdered and evaporated goat milk in many stores.

Good luck to you and your son!

Sault Ste Marie, Mi
OP Offline
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
Darillyn,

Do you have any idea how God send you are, I was balling when I read your response, bc I am so desperate, and love my son more than anything. I want him to get better, I had to strip his diet back down to basic today, bc he looks so peakid from the diahrea. I have never heard of goats milk, I talked to my mom, and that is what she had to give me when I was a toddler. Thank you so much! I am doing the excelerated protocol, but wasn't even aware thats what I was doing, only I have been pumping like crazy. I have been taking three of my bcp insteade, bc I did my own research that progesterone helped with mammary tissue. I guess thats another question I had, can you still pump while on excel protocol, bc its working, I'm starting to get sprays?

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
The whole point of the protocols is tricking your body into thinking that you are pregnant so you should NOT be pumping while on the protocol!! I also would NOT be taking more than one BCP a day as that just increases the risk of side effects- stroke, blood clots,etc.

You need to be patient and just let the protocol work. This protocol has been developed by Dr Newman a leader in the field of breastfeeding and is based on the latest research. Changing it on your own based on research you have done is not advisable.

JMHO,

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
OP Offline
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
I know I'm talking to Lenora about it, I already told her, the bcp im taking is only a third .35 of progesterone! How efficient is goats rue?

Sault Ste Marie, Mi
OP Offline
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
I have a question since I am going on the proper protocol, and doing it right this time. I want the greatest effect, so I want the breast changes as fast I can, does anyone recommend the prometrium at all, otherwise Im getting provera, bc I can't afford the yasmin? I read under a medical website that prometrium mimics a pregnancy more than any other progesterone pill!

Sault Ste Marie, Mi
OP Offline
Sault Ste Marie, Mi
Never mind that question up there, it has been an absolute emotional roller coaster for me of which route to go, so I said forget it. Boy am I stubborn, I'l cut corners if I have too, I bought the Yasmin any ways smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.