Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14219 05/30/11 03:37 PM
K
kitkat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello All- I'm very excited to report, I finished my protocol and started pumping about 10 days ago. At my second pumping session I got my first drops of creamy white milk and there was enough on one side to drip to the bottom of the the bottle! I am using the Medela PIS adv.

Things I have notice are: What I get at each session is not consistent. I know this is normal but I wonder how long does it usually take to move from drops to drips to sprays? I don't get milk on my first pumping in the morning which surprised me because it was usually to fullest part of my day when I breast fed my babies. There are some sessions I don't get anything and other times there is quite a bit. Which brings me to my next question. How long should I pump each time? It can take any where from 3 minutes to 15 minutes before the flow starts. (I don't feel a let-down yet). Should I start counting from when the milk flows or from when I start pumping? I can't always wait for the milk to stop before I stop pumping (though I usually try to) because it can become very time consuming (up to an hour). I am trying to keep a 3 hour schedule. There have been some days that it has extended longer in between because I need to be away from home. That didn't seem to effect having more or less milk at the next sessions. Is it ok to have longer spaces between sessions on busier days?

Thanks for taking the time with all my questions. I really appreciate having a community like this to come to. Thanks again. Katherine

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I would just pump when you can. If you have to be away from home I think it is okay to space them more. When I first started pumping I was only pumping about 6 times in 24 hours. I didn't start pumping at night until closer to when the baby arrived.

I did find it helped to have pictures of babies to look at. I didn't get any milk until 5 days and that was when I pulled out a photo album. My supply increased quicker from there. I pumped for 20 minutes from when I started, unless I just had a let down at that point. Then I would pump a little longer.

When does the baby arrive?

Jennifer

Michigan, USA
D
D
Michigan, USA
I am just starting my 5th day of pumping. I got a full ounce the first time I pumped and the amount each time after that decreased until it settled in at about 1/4 tsp. at each pumping. My question is, when using the protocol, does your milk actually come in like it does after having a baby? I have been pumping every three hours for 20 minutes. Just wondering if my supply will suddenly increase or if it will be gradual, or if I have peaked? Any input would be appreciated!

Kim

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Kim

I do not believe that your milk "comes in" like it would after birth. Your supply will increase from here gradually. Are you massaging your breasts about ten minutes into pumping? Are you using compression? In my own personal experience I found I was discouraged in the beginning because I didn't see any milk but I started hand expressing and compression during pumping and realized I did have milk it just wasn't coming all out. Once I learned how to express it better and what worked for me, my supply increased every week.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
It does not come in like when you give birth. It increases gradually. That is a great start. I would try tracking how much you are making each day. You should start seeing an increase every week.
Jennifer

Michigan, USA
D
D
Michigan, USA
Thanks Ladies! I have been tracking my progress. Claudia, I was massaging before pumping, and after your post I started massaging half way through pumping. I am up to 3/4 tsp. the last time I pumped. Thanks so much for the encouragement, girls, it helps so much to be able to ask questions and get speedy answers! I'll keep you posted.

Kim

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.