#14406 10/24/11 10:10 PM
Denver, CO
P
Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Denver, CO
Hopefully someone can help me...

I really really want to breastfeed my adopted baby, but I'm scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery in May. I've been on the regular protocol for about 4 or 5 months & we've been on the adoption waiting list for almost 2 years, but it sounds like it could be another 6 months.

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to breastfeed after this surgery? The doctors seem to be anti-breastfeeding, I can't find ANY information on this. I would think because I'll be using the lact-aid, that it would be okay - just a little more effort on my part.

I'm putting so much effort into preparing to breastfeed, I'd hate to see it all go to waste, especially if our adoption occurs around the same time as my surgery.

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

Pammy #14409 10/26/11 04:29 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I don't know a ton about that surgery, but I don't see why you couldn't bf. I had an appendectomy when our daughter was 3 months old. I had to pump and dump after the surgery for a little while until the drugs were out of my system. I also had to pump and dump after drinking the contrast for a CT scan. The doctor had me pumping and dumping because of the infectious disease drugs I was on (the appendix had ruptured), but then I checked with my Lactation Consultant and learned the drugs were safe with bf. I would recommend having a LC that you can call to check Thomas Hale's book for you (Medications and Mother's Milk) and to talk to them about bf after the surgery.

Jennifer

Denver, CO
P
Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Denver, CO
Thanks for reassuring me Jennifer! I would be so disappointed if I couldn't breastfeed. I know a lactation consultant, that's a good idea to check with her.

It seems like doctors take the easy way out with breastfeeding - by saying "just stop."

Pammy #14413 11/01/11 03:09 AM
B
B
Pammy- I hope you can continue with the protocol. I've been on it since July and just started pumping yesterday and got 2oz! I am thankful to have had some "prep time" before her arrival. Like Jenn said the worst that could happen is the pumping and dumping (unless the hormones somehow interfere with something related to the surgery), but at least you would still be on track for breast feeding. Good luck!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.