photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bko722 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We are expecting a little girl in 5 weeks so I just started the pumping phase yesterday. In one day I have 2 oz, cumulative. I'm not sure what is typical or how much to expect in a week or two. So far, I'm still at the drop stage (but at least it is a steady drop) and not the spray. I have nursed my son for a year, so am familiar with all the pumping aspects.

Curious if anyone else is at this stage or slightly ahead, so we can encourage each other.

Thanks,

Kristen

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I'm not at that point, but 2oz on day 2 is awesome. You should see a slow but steady increase.

The one thing I would warn is that it is so different nursing after inducing than nursing a bio child. I worried about supply so much with our two daughters that we adopted, and I didn't have to when I bf our bio son. Good luck.
Jennifer

B
bko722 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Jennifer. I'm now up to 3oz a day so that is good, I think. It is different than regular lactation in which you start out with an abundance. I think I would get 10 oz in 10 min, so it is hard to change my expectations that I might just be a pacifier with a snack. I don't get really engorged and have that need to pump like I did before, so it is harder to watch the clock. Oh, well.....will keep on trucking along.

M
mjj Offline
M
Hi! I am not at the pumping stage yet, but I'm wondering how it's going for you. Have you increased from 3 oz? I will start pumping in February and am wondering if it steadily increases.
Thanks! smile

B
bko722 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Update: Baby girl is now 13 days old and the breastfeeding is going great! I kept track the number of ounces I put away in the freezer each day and the last week I was putting away approx. 23 ounces a day. She latched right away after she was born (even better than my son did) and did have some gagging since my supply was more than her demand. My supply is still more than her demand as I have to freeze some during the day. The gagging is gone and I feed her 4x in the middle of the night and am still able to pump out 8 oz in the morning. It is crazy. I'm sure we will both get on track sometime soon. We have a tall spare freezer and I also have about 350 ounces stored in there in 2-4 ounce increments. I'm still just setting small goals for myself to make it to one month, etc. But so far so good. The hospital lactation consultant was practically interviewing me as she was very interested. smile

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
That's great congrats on your baby.

M
M
Congratulations on your new baby girl and the great job at breastfeeding!!!! smile

That is wonderful that you have so much breast milk frozen! smile

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Congratulations!

Wow.. this sounds wonderful! I have not been here in awhile. But would love to hear how your nursing is going now

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
MA
C
C
MA
Hi Kristen,

Loved you posts and would like to ask you what was the protocol you used to induce lactation? How long where you on the protocol? Thank you and I know this has been a year but need to learn all I can from everyone.
Greatful,

Colette

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.