photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
I thought we would have more time! We got a call that a birthmom chose us and we only have two weeks. I will start my BCPs today, but my Domperidon is not here yet (I ordered it a couple days ago - as soon as we found out we were getting a baby). So I am planning on using the Yasmin for 30 days and starting the Domperidone as soon as it gets here. My question is, is it safe for me to use the lact-aid with formula while breastfeeding while I am on the BCPs? I will be on the BCPs for about the first two weeks. What if I start producing a little milk while I am on the BCPs (I think it will be Yasmin - getting the script today from OB). And, is this the best protocol?

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
The bcp's will suppress your milk supply. That is what they are supposed to do. To mimic a pregnancy. I believe it is safe to use the lactaid while taking the yasmin.

But I don't know how helpful it is to start taking the bcp's now when you don't have the domperidone. They work together to prepare your breasts to bf. Just the bcp's alone don't do that.

Jennifer

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the quick reply. I went to my OB yesterday and she prescribed Domperidone. I went to a local compounding pharmacy and they filled it. So now I am taking the Dom and the BCPs together. I plan on doing this for about two to three weeks. Then I will start pumping and continue the Dom while also breastfeeding with the Lact-Aid. Any suggestions on the best pump? I was thinking a hospital grade Ameda (Ameda Elite) to rent from a local lactation center. Do you think the non-hospital grade pumps work as well? If they do, then I will just buy one of those. By the time I rent a hospital grade pump for a few months, I could buy a non-hospital grade pump. Do you think I should start pumping now? Or just wait for a few more weeks until I have had the BCPs for a few weeks in my system.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
I used the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and it worked great. The point of doing the BCPs and Dom together is to mimic pregnancy and allow your breast tissue to build and get ready for producing milk. I think it can't hurt to be on the BCPs for the full 30 days to allow them to work. The extra two weeks on them in the beginning is easier than finding that you aren't producing as much as you want later on and wishing you had done the full "Accelerated Protocol". But it is a personal preference and there is more to breast feeding than producing milk. That is just what I would do. Good Luck and congratulations!

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
You really need to be on both Dom and BCP's for at least 1 month. Then you can start pumping in addition to breastfeeding your little one. Don't start pumping before you stop the BCP's because it is meant to simulate pregnancy and pumping confuses your body. I know it is tempting to take short cuts but it will undermine your chances of success.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I agree with the other women, stay on the protocol for the 30 days to give yourself the best chance to be successful.

I think it is great that you were able to get the dom at a compounding pharmacy. I don't know if your insurance covered it, but if not, it can be very expensive to get it there, so you might want to look at other options for the long term.

I used a Pump In Style and a PJ's Comfort Limerick and they worked well for me. I would would probably buy the pump.

Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.