photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14490 02/02/12 04:08 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I am happy to say we have been matched with a birth mom who is due May 3rd! I have a bio son now 8, who I nursed for about 10 months. I weaned to try to get pregnant again, but I did not. I am excited to try and nurse this new baby and just got my pump today.

My main questions at this point are..how difficult was it to get domperidone prescribed to be made at a compounding pharmacy in the States? I don't feel comfortable ordering online. And do you really need to pump so often when you just start out? I believe I read every 3 hours when you are just starting out.

Thanks for any insight!
Mary

Maryohio #14492 02/02/12 05:42 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I got mine through a compounding pharmacy at first and it was even covered by my insurance (I think this is rare). Then my coverage changed and they stopped covering it. It was so expensive it would have been prohibitive (I think $200 per month). So I started ordering online. It comes in foil wrapped packs from the manufacturer. I've had no problems and a full supply.
Jennifer

jenmarko #14515 02/27/12 03:34 AM
Texas
T
T
Texas
Hi Mary, I got my Dom from a compounding pharmacy in Dallas. Then they started working with the FDA on a national drug trial of Dom, so they had to stop filling scripts for Dom as a nursing aid. I switched to a compounding pharmacy in Plano (a suburb of Dallas) and found my script was something like $60/mo LESS. I had no idea prices varied so much! Now I get it from a pharmacy in Arlington for about $100 less even than the Plano price. It was not hard at all to get the drug prescribed (lactation consultant referred me to an OB/Gyn for the script) and it was easy to get it filled locally. That said, call around to every compounding pharmacy in reasonable range of you and ask about prices! It's significantly cheaper online, except for this place I just found in Arlington, which is comparable to online prices.

Also, yes, when you first start out, you really need to pump every 3 hours. This is long, compared to a newborn feeding cycle, which is often closer to every 2 hours (on breastmilk, anyway). The closer you get to your expected date, the closer you'll want to get to every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. It is more important to have frequent cycles of pumping than long cycles. That is, if you pumped every 2 hours for 5 minutes at a time, that would be 60 minutes in a day. If you pumped every 3 hours for 10 minutes at a time, that would be 80 minutes in a day. Your milk supply would increase more rapidly with the every 2 hours than with the every 3 hours schedule, even though you'd spend more time at the pump on the 3 hours schedule.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.