Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14521 02/29/12 11:13 AM
M
mummy2b Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have been using a medela hospital grade double pump for 2 weeks now and all I get is tiny drops that coat the bottle. However when I use a hand pump at work I get a small amount of spray and a few drops in the bottle. Is this normal? Our surro baby will be with us in just over 7 weeks and i'm worried there won't be enough coming in. I am aware that I would probably need to supplement but was expecting more. I have tried looking at photos of babies and I try to express in the nursery as much as possible so I can picture our baby. Any other ideas?
I used the menopause protocolfrom 12 weeks and i'm using dom, blessed thistle and fenugreek.

mummy2b #14522 02/29/12 10:38 PM
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Yes, this is normal. In the beginning, before you are producting ounces, it is difficult for the pump to express the milk that you do have. I still used the pump but I used compression (compressing my breasts while pumping) and then I would hand express after pumping. Soon you will be producing enough for the drops and sprays to come out via the pump. Don't get discouraged!

Claudia #14527 03/03/12 10:17 PM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Looking at photos of babies is what helped me. For the first week I wasn't getting anything. When I added the baby photo album, I started increasing much faster. I know it is hard, but just try to relax. Imagine your baby crying for you. Drink lots of water and try eating oatmeal. I also did compression when pumping and stopped in the middle to jiggle and shake the breasts.

Jennifer

H
H
I started the regular protocols on January 7, 2012. I changed to Yasmin from Otho 1/35 because I wasn't having any symptoms nor breast changes since that change my breasts have gone up a cup size and I'm exhausted. All of which I expected and feel encouraged by. I'm on 30 mg tid of dom and just found out that our baby (who will be born via surrogacy) is measuring ahead of schedule. The doctor says this may mean an early delivery by as much as a week to two weeks depending on the progression of the baby. Which means mid to late May instead of June. Our surro has had three surro babies before and all were induced early bc of size. That being said I think I need to shorten up my protocol timeline to start pumping. Any advice? What's worked for you guys or not worked? Ive read tons of threads on the boards but I feel a bit concerned that I will only be on Protocols for 4 months and not the full 5 that I had originally planned on. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! I'm super excited that everything feels like it's working and I'm encouraged beyond belief that this will work!!!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I think that you will be fine to start pumping a little early. Are you planning to start pumping about 4-6 weeks before you think she will deliver? That is what I would recommend.
Good luck!
Jennifer

I did not get a drop of milk first 2 weeks after I stopped the protocols. As soon as the estrogen was out of my body I started making drops. It is possible for your body to respond better to one pump over another. What helped me was putting warm wash clothes on my breast before pumping. Then I wore the pumping bra and surfed the net. I would be so tense about wanting to make milk it wasn't happening. But when I surfed and pump I did not think a thing about it. I would look down and find 2 ounces in the bottles.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #14553 03/25/12 10:48 PM
B
B
Quick update:). Last week I took a lovely, long hot shower and when I got out I had this weird super full sensation in my breasts (mostly my right). I looked down to see if my breasts were increasing in volume and much to my surprise I saw lots of white bumps on both of my nipples. Not being sure what they were I touched them, then scratched them lightly and then slightly squeezed just the right one and viola!!!!!! Much to my surprise several tiny drops of white fluid:)))))). So, I read through the threads here and saw that's common and not to touch them any more, and so I haven't but I am slightly encouraged by what happened. The white spots are still there and I'm due to start pumping this coming Friday. Any advice?!?!:))). I'm going in blindly but I feel good about that because I don't really have any expectations at this point. Just encouraged by last weeks event:)

Baker #14554 03/25/12 11:00 PM
B
B
Oh! One more question:

I have two options, stop bcp this Friday (which puts me at 3 months on protocol) and start herbs, oatmeal and pumping or start new pack of bcp for two more weeks and start pumping. The later would give me 6 weeks of pumping and starting this coming week would give me 8 weeks of pumping. Any thoughts?

Baker #14557 03/27/12 02:05 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Baker - It is totally up to you and how long you are willing to commit to pumping. I hated pumping, so I didn't start as early. If you think you can keep it up for 8 weeks, then start Friday.
Good luck!
Jennifer

S
S
Give it time and see what happens over the next few weeks. I never hand pumped so I don't know if that gets more out, but it was slow going at first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.