Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14555 03/26/12 03:49 PM
T
toni_sn Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I will be starting the Regular protocol for Induced lactation. My doctor is so scared about the Domperidone. I have emailed Dr Newman and Lenore and have given him all the information they gave me, but he is still scared that something is going to happen to me. Interested to see if anyone has used Domperidone and had any complications?

Last edited by toni_sn; 03/26/12 04:25 PM.
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I've used it to induce lactation for 2 babies. I was on it for 8 months before the first baby was born and then nursed with it for 18 months. The second time I was on it for 11 months before the baby was born and I am just finishing my last few pills and the baby is just about 20 months now.

I had no complications. I gained a little weight each time while on the protocol, but I blame the bcp's more than the domperidone because once I stopped the bcp's I dropped the weight.

The only time there were problems with domperidone is when it was used in super high doses (in an IV dosage I believe). The dosages we use are no where near that. The other option (reglan) is much less safe for both mother and baby. It can cause depression in the mom and it can cross the blood brain barrier in the baby. I felt very comfortable using it and my doctor gave me a prescription. Now I don't need a prescription because I order it online.

Jennifer

Denver, CO
P
P
Denver, CO
I've been on the regular protocol since June last year and haven't had any complications.

I take 80 mgs of dom a day. I had minor headaches at first, but those went away after the first couple of weeks. They say if you start slow with the dom, you won't get headaches as bad. I too, have gained a bit of weight, but I agree that it's probably because of the bcp's.

My doctor never heard of inducing lactation, so I gave her information on it and she said it all seemed safe, but wouldn't give me a prescription for the dom. - have to get that online.

I start pumping in about 3 weeks - so nervous!

Good luck on the protocol!

Pam smile

Denver, CO
P
P
Denver, CO
*I just remembered that I did get very nausiated for a few months in the begining, but I believe it was due to the bcp's & not the domperidone. I'm fine now. My breast's got sensitive at first too.* I agree with Jennifer - the documented problems related to dom was because it was given in high doses via IV.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
And I forgot to say this in my first e-mail, but I was on 120 mg a day at my max with no issues.
Jennifer

S
S
I have been taking 80mg for 22 months. Severe diarrhea the first several months, but no symptoms now and no problems.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.