photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
We are in a potential situation where we have a short eight weeks to prepare for an arrival of an adopted newborn. Actually eight weeks if expectant mother goes till 40 weeks, so possibly less.
Have not done any meds or preparation for lactation so far. My question--should I still do birth control pills for 30 days, or should I skip the BCP altogether and just go straight to domperidone and pumping. I have breastfed 3 biological children in the past for a period of years, but the last one weaned almost five years ago.
Any advice is very welcome. Thanks!

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
I would do the 30 days of the protocol. I think you will get better long term results this way.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Maybe I should expand upon that - Breastfeeding is about more than the amount of milk you are producing but I think you are better off doing the protocol because you will prepare your body better for producing milk for your child. If the baby comes before your 30 days are up, you can still feed him/her at your breast using the SNS.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia

I would definitely do the 30 day protocol. Our DD arrived with NO notice at all, and I was unable to start the protocol until she was 10 days old. She was fed the bottle until that time ( we lived overseas) and I used SNS from day one to get her use to the breast. I would NOT recommend the SNS, it was super frustrating for me, gravity feed instead of giving milk as the baby sucks. Lact aid is much much better. I had last BF 19 years prior~ Still able to supply 90 % of my DD BF needs.
Good luck!

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia

I would definitely do the 30 day protocol. Our DD arrived with NO notice at all, and I was unable to start the protocol until she was 10 days old. She was fed the bottle until that time ( we lived overseas) and I used SNS from day one to get her use to the breast. I would NOT recommend the SNS, it was super frustrating for me, gravity feed instead of giving milk as the baby sucks. Lact aid is much much better. I had last BF 19 years prior~ Still able to supply 90 % of my DD BF needs.
Good luck!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I also would say do the 30 day protocol. It sets you up to hve better success long term. You should still have some time to pump before the baby arrives.

We had one stork drop. I was on the protocol while waiting to be matched, so I stopped the bcp's and started pumping the day we were placed with our daughter. I was able to build up to a full supply pretty quickly.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.