#14717 06/05/12 10:14 PM
Maryland
M
momtenn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Maryland
Hello everyone,

I am just starting the Accelerated Protocol. I am assuming that I will not produce enough milk for the baby's full milk supply, so I am wondering what other's have done? Has anyone found milk from milk banks/exchanges? Which ones would you recommend? Do most people just substitute with formula? I am not sure about the milk exchanges because of possible undisclosed health issues, so I would love to hear peoples experiences and suggestions!

Thank you! We are hoping to adopt a baby due in early August.

momtenn #14719 06/06/12 02:18 PM
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I doubt you will be able to get milk from a milk bank, as there was an article in the Denver Post about the national shortage of breast milk donation to milk banks. They don't even have for the needs of preemies, babies who have had surgery on there intestines, and babies that can't digest any known formulas. Even if you could find a bank with enough milk, you would be paying about 3-6 dollars an ounce. It would be $12-24 for one bottle!!

I used Milk Share, it is a site run by midwives to match people who have a surplus of milk and people who need milk. My two children never had formula despite my meeting 1/4 of their need at my peak. I had 6 main donors that I used along with probably 3 other one-time donors. I asked them for the labs from their pregnancy and then talked to them for a little while in person and online. I felt very comfortable that all my donors were kind hearted women who had my baby and their own child's best interest at heart. You need to be comfortable with them. I guess because I did surrogacy for both my children, I had to learn to trust other people to care for my children when I couldn't do it.

I would try to get on a milk exchange and try to get some milk stored away ahead of time. That was one of the best things I did with my son after having some panicking times when our supply of milk got low with my daughter.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
michelep #14721 06/07/12 01:27 AM
Maryland
M
momtenn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Maryland
Thanks for the advice. I was mostly concerned about the safety of giving milk to my baby if it has not been screened. I was looking at the site and it looks like the donors do go through some screening. Did you look at that when connecting with someone?

Thanks!

momtenn #14722 06/07/12 03:23 AM
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I just relied on the pregnancy screening labs. Remember that they are giving the same milk to their babies!!! The donors don't go through any screening. It is your responsibility to make sure you are comfortable with your donors.

Compare that to formula which recently has been recalled for insect parts in the formula. Plus formula is made up of all sorts of corn syrup solids and chemicals. For me it was not an option if I could find breast milk for my kids.

Michele
michelep #14724 06/07/12 06:39 PM
Denver, CO
P
P
Denver, CO
I hadn't heard about the breast milk shortage. Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me. Sad. When I met with my lactation consultant a few weeks ago, she suggested I use a milk bank. She told me when the baby's born at hospital, I need to request the baby be given breast milk and not formula (or have the birthmother ask). She said almost all hospitals can do this (excluding small hospitals). When you take the baby home ask that doctor for a prescription for the milk bank and they'll give you one.

She said the cost is $3.00 for 4 ounces of breast milk. This is what we're going to do. I have the milk I'm saving in the freezer, but I know it'll run out fairly quickly, since I'm only pumping 4 oz a day. I'm in Colorado, so Idk if it's the same where you are.

Pammy #14725 06/08/12 03:55 AM
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Actually the Denver Milk Bank charges $3.50/oz for milk if it is available. Denver has had a significant shortage within the last couple of months which means it is only available to infants with medical needs. That may have eased with more donors recently but there have been at least 2 shortages in the last 6 months.

You can find more information at http://www.milkbankcolorado.org/home/

Last edited by michelep; 06/08/12 03:56 AM.

Michele

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.