photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PaminLA Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Can we read anything into the appearance of milk when we induce lactation?

When I first started taking the dom this summer, I occasionally leaked clear drops and sometimes white. I started pumping yesterday and the milk is super thick and yellow. Does it mean anything? On day two I'm getting less than a half teaspoon each time I pump, but it's so thick, the drops that collect on the sides of the bottles are too difficult to collect. The best way to describe the milk is fatty.

Background: I lactated naturally after I delivered my first baby and nursed her for almost five years. we stopped completely over a year ago. I started the protocol in June. Baby is due by surrogate on Dec. 19.

Thanks for any advice and encouragement. This is daunting.

T
TJK Offline
T
I think the type of milk you produce varies depending on whether you've ever naturally lactated before. The milk I produced was thin, watery and white. We used donor breast milk to supplement and the color was different from woman to woman. One friend of mine donated the most thick and creamy (fatty) milk to my daughter. She loved it!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
It is very typical for the milk to be very yellow and thick for the first few days. Mine became whiter and thinner after a week or so.
Jennifer

MA
C
C
MA
I nursed my bio child 3 years and noticed that the more water I drank, the thinner my milk.

Colette

Colette
P
PaminLA Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for your feedback. Today was my fourth day pumping and it's thinning as the volume increases. I'm really pleased with how I'm progressing. I think after I pump tonight, I'll have about 3/4 of an ounce for the day. I'm renting a hospital grade pump tomorrow. I figure I'll save my Pump in Style's motor for after the baby's born and I'm not pumping as often. The LC also said she thought the hospital grade would be more comfortable. My herbs and teas should arrive tomorrow too, so that should help things along. I'm pretty sore, but having trouble telling whether my breasts are sore because they're getting fuller and milkier or whether it's just from all the tugging on my poor nipples. I'm so grateful for this forum.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
You are doing great, congrats!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.