photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
How long should it seriously take to get a good supply of milk? I am trying to find information based on someone like myself who has NEVER had children and NEVER lactated. I am finding stories of women who have been pregnant and nursed before and want to re-lactate for whatever reason. I don't feel as though this mimics my story and that those women have an unfair advantage as opposed to someone like me doing it all "from scratch." I am getting so discouraged and am in tears over this. I am trying so hard and feel like I am failing. I have been pumping for slightly over 5 weeks. I have increased the Dom, I take fenugreek, I shake, jiggle, massage and try to squeeze the milk out of my breasts until they hurt. I pump faithfully every two hours including during the night. I just need to know that I can have some success in doing this. It means so much to me to be able to bond with my children when they arrive. I could not physically give birth to them. I needed a gestational surrogate. This is one thing I wanted to be able to give them. I do get about 4 ozs in a 24 hour period but that is really not that much.

Denver, CO
P
P
Denver, CO
I started "from scratch" too. I was getting 6 oz a day at 4 months from starting pumping. Don't get discouraged.

I am adopting our baby and I completely understand wanting to be able to nourish this child I wasn't able to carry in my womb. But remember, there's more to breastfeeding then just breastmilk. You'll be able to share that special bond with them, even though their nourshiment may mostly come from another source. I plan on using the lact-aid supplimenter.

Also remember that a baby can get more milk from your breasts then any pump can. It's hard to actually do this, BUT try not to stress when you're pumping. The stress alone can interfere with your production.

Keep at it. You'll soon have your wonderful baby in your arms and you'll be the best mom no matter your milk output.

South east
South east
randnmom,

I SO get where you're coming from. I've never carried a baby to term either, and some days I think my body hates me. I've been pumping a little longer than you, but I'm getting only about 3 ounces on a good day. The thought of not being able to produce enough is devastating to me.

BUT, here's how I've been thinking about it to cut down on some of the stress: When the baby first arrives, he won't want but a tiny bit of milk. All new moms start out with only little supplies. Then, as he wants more, hopefully my body will keep up with his demand. After all, once he's actually here, I should have better luck with supply. And if I do fall behind at some point, I have all those piddly little 3 ounces I've been putting away while getting ready for him.

Mom to Ty and soon-to-be mom to Toby.
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you ladies for the advice and support. I'm glad to know that I am not alone as far as doing this "from scratch." I guess I am just worried twice as much because I am expecting twins. I have about 46 ounces saved but with twins that's only like a day or two of food for them. I'm not giving up though. Any amount I can give to them, I will. And if I need to try the lact-aid, I will do that too.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
You should look into milk sharing programs too. There is a adoptive breastfeeding group on facebook and I think one of the women is connected to a milk sharing program.
Jennifer

R
OP Offline
R
I have thought about a milk sharing program but I cannot be sure where this milk is coming from so I am hesitant to give it to my babies.

MA
C
C
MA
Look for the women that have had there milk certified. The women have had blood tests, testing for several things. They give you a copy. You also get to know them, meet with them if they are local.

Colette
MA
C
C
MA
This is a good artical on "Donor Milk"

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/med...rship-with-mmbm

Colette
C
C
randnmom-

I am an adoptive mother who induced milk last year for my now 15 month old, and am doing it again for a new baby next month. After deciding that I really didn't want to mix breastmilk with formula while supplementing (I used a lactaid supplementer), I found local Human Milk 4 Human Babies Facebook pages in my state and neighboring states and was able to hook up with several other moms who were blessed with extra milk. My daughter STILL receives solely breast milk to drink from these generous women. It took me a little "wrapping my brain around it" consideration but what swayed me was that, in general, these moms who are already feeding their babies, and who are obviously "in the know" about sharing/donating breastmilk... aren't going to consciously do anything to produce harmful breastmilk. We have been lucky to have had 2 long term donors with several other one or two time "drops" from other generous moms.

The only thing I am looking to do now, is to look for some colostrum for the first couple of days for this new babe. Maybe your surro would be willing to pump for a set amount of time in order to help her own hormones level out or at least until you can get your supply up?

Good luck and congratulations!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.