photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi ladies-i've heard that breast feeding is better and more efficient than any pump. If thats the case, can i wait for baby's arrival to start breast feeding with use of lact-aid since i will have bm from our carrier? I have several reasons for this: 1. I could stay on the protocol a few weeks longer...for about 4 months and 2. Pumping every 2 hours before the baby is here will be very difficult-but manageable once baby is here and i am on maternity leave. Thanks for ur thoughts!!

Last edited by Angelsoft1975; 07/01/13 02:01 AM.
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
You should do what works for you. Our first adoption, I didn't pump before at all because it was a stork drop. So I started pumping the day she was placed with us. I was able to get up to ebf by the time she was 2 weeks old, but I don't think that is typical.

Our second adoption we were matched ahead. I started pumping 10 days ahead because I couldn't commit to pumping before that and we weren't sure it would work out.

I am assuming you are using a surrogate? In your case I would have started pumping ahead of time (6-8 weeks) to try to build a supply for when the baby is born because you KNOW you are getting the baby (unlike adoption).

Even if you can only pump once or twice at work and then every 2 hours in the evening, once overnight and once in the morning, that would be better than nothing.

But again, only you know your situation.
Good luck,
Jennifer

A
OP Offline
A
Thx for your reply! I spoke to some lactation consults and they concur. I hav started pumping and agree its better to start in advance. Its a lot of work, and easier to stay committed/focused while waiting for the baby.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.